Metadata Import

danmed
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I've just set Emby to save all metadata in a seperate folder.. My question is around how this will be helpful to me..

If say i lost my server and had to rebuild.. would i just point the metadata folder back at the same location, set my media library folders again and it would use the metadata instead of scanning from the internet?

Or am i missing the point of this function completely?

many thanks

Edit : Also, i've set this location, but when does it actually export all the metadata.. it's done / doing Views and Studios but i was expecting metadata for everything in my library to be exported to this folder...

Edited by danmed

• Solution

yes you're right about rebuilding the server. but still not everyone wants their media folders polluted so that's why it's offered both ways

• Like 1

yes you're right about rebuilding the server. but still not everyone wants their media folders polluted so that's why it's offered both ways

Thanks for your reply, that's perfect.. Any ideas on when the data will actually be exported? It seems to have stopped doing anything after completing Views and Studio....

i don't know what you mean by that sorry. but metadata is saved when content is brought into your library. changing those settings only affects new metadata going forward, it will not move existing metadata.

i don't know what you mean by that sorry. but metadata is saved when content is brought into your library. changing those settings only affects new metadata going forward, it will not move existing metadata.

Oh, that's a bit of a pain.. i already have a massive library and the last thing i want to do is delete it and rebuild it... is there no way to extract existing metadata?

We can't really do a migration.

We can't just start deleting all the metadata from your media folders as we don't necessarily "own" it.  You may use other programs to create it or other programs may depend on it.

So, you will need to manage this yourself.