Plex user trying out Emby - most files don't play on Roku 3

slogic
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hello,

I've been a Plex user for the last 3 years, and due to the addition of live and recorded TV in the beta just released want to give Emby a try.

I installed Emby on the same server that I'm running Plex on, and using a Roku 3 (wired connection) as my main client. With Plex,  everything I place in there and scan plays. With Emby, the vast majority of my library does not play. If I hit play, the screen will black out like it's going to play and then go back to the screen with the option to play. However, a handful of movies will play. Most of my files are .mkv extensions, those that play and those that don't.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get Emby to play my files like Plex does? If both are using FFMPEG, why won't Emby play/transcode everything the same way? I was hoping I could just install and go. I did not shut down Plex, could that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

• Solution

do you have ffmpeg and ffprobe executables underneath

C:\Users\Plex\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg

It appears the server is successfully downloading and extracting ffmpeg, but then it's just not there when it tries to launch it. Is it possible you have an anti-virus that's interfering? If I had to guess, the videos that are playing are the ones that are direct streaming.

• Like 1

Hello Luke,

The two files are there, but in a subfolder within the ffmpeg directory named "20150717". Is that where they should be? Otherwise I'll just copy them to /ffmpeg. Thanks for your help!

I tried copying the two files to the root of /ffmpeg and it still didn't work. From the web interface, I restarted Emby and my videos are now playing. Thanks for your help!