Roku 3 streaming issue

BillW

Not sure if this belongs here or in the server. Feel free to move it if necessary.

This past weekend I started using the web client. I set up my adult children so they can view my content. So far most everything works with only one issue. My son's Roku 3 starts stuttering. He said buffering. I don't have a Roku so I'm not quite sure of the error message. He said a movie will play for about 20 minutes then it starts to stutter. He pauses for a while then restarts the movie. It will play again for about 20 minutes then it starts to stutter again.

I was looking in the server under playback. The video quality option is set to auto. If I change the setting to faster will that help with streaming speed? There is also a CPU throttle setting that is enabled. Will unchecking this help?

Are there any settings on the Roku that can be changed? As I said I have never seen one. Unfortunately I can't look at what he is seeing. I live in PA he's about 2,000 miles away in UT.

When I set up the web client I didn't have to open a router port. Will it help if I did?

My internet connection is Comcast 50mps download, 10mps upload.

Sorry for all of the basic questions. This is my first time around trying this. Thanks for the help.