Emby w/ HDHomerun w/Schedules Direct picture request

Damstas

Damstas

Hi. Could someone post a few pictures here how the Emby Live TV interface looks like populated with images from Schedules Direct on HDHomerun with the latest server on What's On section, Upcoming, Upcoming movies etc?

I would just like to check a few things.

Thanks  :)

Those are nice screens. We can do even better though as we start to use internet tv providers instead of the stock tv images. we're already doing that for movies as you can see.

Damstas

Thanks for the pictures mellomade!

Those are nice screens. We can do even better though as we start to use internet tv providers instead of the stock tv images. we're already doing that for movies as you can see.

Sounds cool. Perhaps you could work with Sven to bring this to NPVR users aswell? :) He is currently developing the plugin. 

Edited by Damstas

Damstas

If you make this happen with NPVR, there should be an option though to use the EPG data provided by Emby (via Schedules Direct) or the backend EPG data (In this case NPVR). Some toggle or something.

Damstas

Do TV-series get actor details too, or is this limited to movies? If so, do you get these details from TheTVDB or Schedules Direct? Also since the latest update, LiveTV upcoming movies are not populating with artwork anymore. 

Do TV-series get actor details too, or is this limited to movies? If so, do you get these details from TheTVDB or Schedules Direct? Also since the latest update, LiveTV upcoming movies are not populating with artwork anymore. 

Yes they are. As for tv, same response as #4.

Damstas

Yes they are. As for tv, same response as #4.

Well mine are not populating. I need to press refresh on each one in order to get the image. Could you work with Sven and Chubby Arse to get these current and upcoming functions (which are now EmbyTV exclusive) widely spread :)

I know HDHomerun-devices are widely popular in the US, but many Europeans are relying on NPVR and MediaPortal.

Edited by Damstas

Damstas

They are not exclusive but rather I imagine those plugins are not supplying enough data.

They never designed to be "the best in the EPG or metadata". As Emby is continuously getting better with the EPG, can't these functions somehow be integrated with the channels from NPVR or MediaPortal in a similar way that EmbyTV functions?

External backend, such as NPVR, MediaPortal or TVHeadend are the only solutions for scrambled channels, that need a CI+/CI-card.

Edited by Damstas

Please stop and just pay attention to what I am saying rather than jumping to conclusions. For the umpteenth time, nothing is exclusive to EmbyTV. The tv provides have to fill out some baseline info before the internet providers will be used.

Damstas

You use terms that don't say explain anything. A internet TV-provider is the one who provides their or others TV-services on the internet. I think you meant TheTVDB as an example, but I still don't see how is it related to my request?

I already understood from the second post that it's not a EmbyTV-exclusive. I asked if you were to make this happen with other backend and you referenced Internet TV-providers. How is this related to for example "Fox on Demand" in the US, which is a internet TV-provider.

Also you posted on a second thread that this integration would require coding by the plugin developer and then you could somehow make it happen. Is this no longer the case?

Also, I made a feature request a while ago about an other issue and you said it will be implemented. It never was.

Damstas
I hope that you will answer to this message, so that we would get this issue clarified.

NPVR gets it's guide data from Schedules Direct, DVB or XMLTV. In addition to the metadata from SD and XMLTV, can NPVR grab metadata from TheTVDB and TMDB. This includes for example images and actors. It can't fetch episode images.

NPVR plugin doesn't currently do demand loading of images from NPVR (like the upcoming movies section from TMDB), but I think Sven is working on it. MediaPortal can't neither, because it doesn't even support LiveTV images in it core or via plugins.

The question here is that, since EmbyTV is going to gain additional features along the line and expand it's metadata capabilities, only the users of EmbyTV can enjoy them.

For example: If you are in the future going to provide episode images, what happens to the show cover, that NPVR has fed to the system. Emby can't replace it, because it doesn't have full access to NPVR folders. Media Portal users don't even have images for TV-shows because of the lack of that feature in MP. 

Wouldn't it be easier to have an option that Emby could fetch the channels and match them with Schedules Direct service same way as EmbyTV functions? Channels that can't be matched would use the backend EPG. To my understanding this would allow the TV-plugins use the current and upcoming features.

What Luke is trying to tell you is that the fetching of metadata for those items is completely independent of whatever TV provider is used.  Once those items are in the library - as long as we have enough information to identify it properly - the internet metadata providers can be used to fill in the data.

The key is that part in italics.   NextPVR or MP or whatever needs to be providing enough information about the item for us to be able to tie it to something on one of the data providers.

This is currently working for movies and is still to be done for TV.

Damstas

What Luke is trying to tell you is that the fetching of metadata for those items is completely independent of whatever TV provider is used.  Once those items are in the library - as long as we have enough information to identify it properly - the internet metadata providers can be used to fill in the data.

The key is that part in italics.   NextPVR or MP or whatever needs to be providing enough information about the item for us to be able to tie it to something on one of the data providers.

This is currently working for movies and is still to be done for TV.

Thanks for a good answer, I understand it better now. I suppose you are not planning on replacing the current TV-show cover arts with episode covers in the EPG and Upcoming etc, since that wouldn't work for external plugins if they have already provided a image? 

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't understand the scenario. Let's say I'm using MediaPortal and I have Schedules Direct configured in it. MediaPortal doesn't have fan art capability so the fan art for every show in Emby is showing as blank. I would want to have Emby feed my MediaPortal channels fanart from Schedules Direct, how would this be achieved? 

EDIT: My point is that right now plugins need to manage fan art seperately. It would be great if Emby could manage it for them w/ Schedules Direct integration.

Edited by Damstas

The images are not exclusive, see post #10. But some minimum properties are required from the tv provider plugin and most likely they are not being filled by the media portal plugin.

The images are not exclusive, see post #10. But some minimum properties are required from the tv provider plugin and most likely they are not being filled by the media portal plugin.

Thanks for answering. What do the developers of NextPVR, MediaPortal and TVHeadend need to do so that Emby can configure Schedules Direct as the EPG source with the plugins? What are these minimum properties? 

Edited by Damstas

I already have a dialogue with them. They already know.

Ok, great to hear. I and many others will be happy if this feature will be added! :) I mainly use NextPVR and I think majority use and TVHeadend on the Linux side (if we exclude ServerWMC and EmbyTV). Ofc it's good if MediaPortal get's the feature aswell.

Emby should do the media management and let PVR backends do their own jobs  :)

Edited by Damstas

@@Luke Sorry to bother you with this issue, but is there any ETA when this feature will be added to the NPVR plugin? :D

You'd probably be better asking the developer of that plug-in.

Sven, sub3 and I are all helping to provide technical support to users of the plugin, but i don't know who is currently writing code for it for new feature development. the plugin just needs to specify basic criteria to indicate content types. we're not going to hammer Themoviedb with every entry in the epg, only the ones that are flagged as movies. same for tv series, etc.