kodi/emby subtitles

brausm08

brausm08

i see there are a few treads concerning subtitles in Kodi, but i'm not sure they apply directly to my situation.

running Kodi 15.1.  my video files are foldered with an .srt file with the same filename as the video file.

kodi/emdy running on the same computer as the server (W7): everything works fine...  .srt files are recognized and can be turned on and off. 

kodi/emby running on my living room HTPC (W7 - same network):  .srt file not recognized at all.

i've played with a multitude of settings trying to get them working.  no joy.  i feel as though there's something simple i'm missing. 

i included a few logs...don't know if these are helpful at all.

thanks for your time!

kodi local - working subtitles.log

server.txt

kodi HTPC - subs not working.log

Crossposting from the Android Beta Testing Forum.

I seem to have the same or a similar issue. Video and Subtitle .srt file located on my media PC, running Emby, Kodi + Emby Addon, all the latest beta / dev. versions (also tried the latest stable versions, same issue). Direct streaming locally, i.e. using Kodi + addon subtitles show just fine. Trying the same using Android Emby to view the same movie, subtitles are only shown when the stream is transcoded, but not when direct streaming.

But I guess that's probably an Emby server issue, and not a Kodi addon one.

Edited by Crular

Please try 1.1.35

Let me know if it corrects the situation. Thank you.

I can confirm, subtitles now also show while direct streaming.

• Like 1

brausm08

i seem to have been run into an update problem....maybe?  i was on 1.1.13 (i assume that's from the latest stable repo: 1.0.2). found/installed the 1.04 beta repo and installed 1.1.35 from there.

when i try playing a video file on the HTPC, i am met with an Error: "Warning: Unable to Direct Play" and gives me an option to play over HTTP.  i've not seen that before on the prior version.  is that something i want...?  i guess i'm not sure what it means....  does that mean i'm not direct streaming? ... or that it simply isn't a local file on that computer (the file is on the PC/server on the same network)?

did i not install something correcty?  ...do i need a beta version of Emby Server? ...or is everything as it's supposed to be and i should be playing over HTTP (not SMB)? 

...i've again uploaded a kodi log file.

Thanks again for your time....i apologize for my noobish behavior :/

kodi 1.1.35.log

Angelblue05

Brausm08 could you do the same thing, however this time set the add-on debug to debug and play something and post that log. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brausm08

here is the log...hopefully it is as it should be. 

i'm sure it's all in the log, but here's a desription of what was done: set emby add-on log to debug; closed kodi; deleted log; restarted kodi; played one movie (direct play warning: accepted HTTP play); stopped that movie; played another movie (cancelled direct play warning); back to 'home'; exit.

not that it matters, but the first movie has a subtitle file which is recognized during HTTP playback; the second one has no subtitles. 

i should probably also add that when i was writing my original post, i shared a folder between computers so i could transfer the logfile i originally attached....then reset that back to default (or so i'm pretty sure).  i want to think this has nothing to do with this issue, but i'm not very confident in my computer to computer communication skills.

hope this helps; thanks again....

kodi w emby debug.log

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@brausm08

Ok this is the reason:

Path is detected as follow: D:\MEDIA\Aladdin (1992)\aladdin.mkv. Try direct streaming.

From where you played the file, it can't find D:\Media\. This is the library path you added to your emby library. What you need to do if the share already exists is in your Emby dashboard > Library > Path substitution >

TO: \\computername\Media (if you are unsure, right click the shared folder > properties > sharing tab > it should give you the network path which is what you need to insert)

This will convert your local path into a network path, so any device outside your server can find the location of your files.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

brausm08

holy balls; it worked!  subtitles are also recognized and working.

okay, so question: not having those path substitutions set as you described until now, have i been running over HTTP all this time but didn't know (because 1.1.13 didin't tell me like the 1.1.35 beta did)?  do the newer/beta Server builds do this automatically?  ...did i miss this somewhere in the Emby Server setup?  ...

thank you, thank you, thank you.  ...  if a guy wanted to buy you a beer or 2 for helping him out, should he use the donate button up top? ...or is there a way to better way to earmark it for you specifically?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes it is silently falling back to direct stream in stable, to ensure our users experience things working out of the box. However it was never the plan to have it fail silently, but rather have a warning to alert the user of possible path problems and then fallback onto the second best option, which is direct stream. :) Anyway I am glad you have things working correctly now.

Keep the offer in mind, I've been in the process of setting up donations for myself as a dev. Will let you know when it's completed, hopefully before the end of this week.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1