Emby setup can't play 1080p video?

Sefris

I have just started storing my videos on my computer and decided to use Emby so I can stream to Chromecast, etc. At first I only watched DVDs and that works just fine, but recently I tried some Blurays and those will not play with error: "There was an error playing the video".

I've done some googling and it seems this is typically a issue with transcoding. Obviously these play fine locally via VLC, it's just through Emby that I have the issue. This is what happens when I attempt to play a video from bluray:

1. Press play via web client.
  2. View changes to play the video.
  3. Fails with error message before any video is played.
  4. CPU is maxed out - have to restart Emby server or it stays that way.

I'm a complete noob with most of the terminology and setup, so any help would be very appreciated.

Relevant specs:

i5 4690k (not currently OC'd)

8GB of RAM

Windows 7

I have attached the latest transcode log and server log with the same timestamp. 

EDIT: Looking at a log for a 720 stream and for the attached 1080 one I see this difference in the 1080 one: 

Codec AVOption b (set bitrate (in bits/s)) specified for output file #0 (C:\Users\Skywalker\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp\1529562ef97393141f6ee4af337a4973.m3u8) has not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used for any stream.

Perhaps this has something to do with it?

transcode-fd237565-e86d-4bd5-91cd-08a9128344a6.txt

server-63575923940.txt

Edited by Sefris

How are you "storing" these videos on your computer?

Hmm, I believe it shows the path + file in the logs. I have the "raw" .mkv's that I then use Handbrake to convert to a .m4v. Emby is pointed to the m4v's which are stored locally under my "video" folder.

Edited by Sefris

Update: I think I might know the issue. I started setting the Handbrake option x264 Tune to "Film." I just did this with a Dvd and it also will not play with the same error. Will look into this more.

Vidman

Hmm, I believe it shows the path + file in the logs. I have the "raw" .mkv's that I then use Handbrake to convert to a .m4v. Emby is pointed to the m4v's which are stored locally under my "video" folder.

Hmmm yea I'm on mobile and couldn't be bothered going through all that just to see something that should have been included in your original post;)

Well there were too issues. First I didn't have an audio file attached (bad preset in Handbrake.) Could that cause the error I was seeing?

The only other thing I changed was setting the Tune from High to Auto within handbrake. Either way it works now. It still takes a crazy amount of cpu, but killing the ffmpeg once the movie starts solves that. Now if only I could get rid of it trying to transcode local files. A question/problem for another day :)

Thank you Vidman for checking out my question.

Happy2Play

What is your bitrate set to in the web client? 

video bitrate "BitRate":5035484

transcoded bitrate -maxrate 872000

What browser are you using?

What is your bitrate set to in the web client? 

video bitrate "BitRate":5035484

transcoded bitrate -maxrate 872000

What browser are you using?

That's a very good question! :P I'm having trouble finding some options.

I'm using Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 m viewing the content via http://localhost:8096/web/index.html

Through the server manager I have nothing set on the option bitrate via Playback -> Streaming

I've yet to see how I can tell if it's transcoding, streamcopy, direct play or direct stream.

Edited by Sefris

Happy2Play

When playing something click the gear in the top right.

Also check user preferences.  User icon top right-settings-Playback settings.

Vidman

In the server dashboard main page shows active devices and what they are playing. .. If you hover over a device with your pointer a pop will show this info

When playing something click the gear in the top right.

Also check user preferences.  User icon top right-settings-Playback settings.

Gear at the top shows this during play: 480p - 1.0Mbps

Never seen these settings: Playback settings show max of 1Mbps, Chromecast has a max of 3Mbps. Enable Chromecast AC2 Passthrough is off - Should I turn this on?

In the server dashboard main page shows active devices and what they are playing. .. If you hover over a device with your pointer a pop will show this info

ts 1000kbps

Happy2Play

Playback settings show max of 1Mbps

adjust this higher.  The video you are trying to play is over 5Mbs.