Media Library Size

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

We have got rid of our dish subscription and I have had a lot of interest in this project lately. My media library is getting pretty large, so I got a 1TB Hard drive the other day and got it pretty well full.

I am just curious what are other people's library size?

and how is your library organized?

Edited by alexander7567

shaefurr

Currently I have 12tb of storage with 2tb free. that's for 1800 movies, 100 TV series, music, ebooks, and about 2tb of other media like pictures.

I use flexraid and just use root folders,

Z:\movies\paranoia (2013)

z:\shows\almost human\season 1 etc.

I started with just 1 3tb drive and keep adding another about once a year when I need more space, though my server is now full with 8 drives, guess its time to upgrade

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Edited by shaefurr

Currently using 12.21 TB out of 16.09 TB. I can put in 2 more 3TB drives whenever I need to expand my NAS a little more to expand it out to a total 21.46 TB. I have a smaller library then many so only 245 movies, 93 tv shows. I organize mine by HD movies, SD movies like:

\\diskstation\videos\movies\hd

\\diskstation\videos\movies\sd

The tv is organized by continuing, animation and ended shows. So

\\diskstation\videos\tv\continuing

\\diskstation\videos\tv\ended

\\diskstation\videos\tv\animation

AxelAxel3

12 TB?? Wow! I was excited to get a whole TB of space lol. I could not imagine how much room that would be. How do you have it setup? Do you have a device that you can insert HDDs into or do you have a computer with a RAID or what?  I have always wanted to offer cloud storage for my family, so I am interested in hearing how you can achieve 21 TB as a single volume!

Edited by alexander7567

I have a Synology NAS device and the expansion unit. Allows up to 5 drives in the unit and another 5 in the expansion (plus can buy 1 more expansion if I need to). I prefer an appliance NAS over a custom made server mainly for size and space. I just have them sitting on a shelf and it takes up very little room. Plus I never really have to touch them to fix problems or anything. Current uptime is 227 days. And it is only that short because I moved 9 months ago so I had to unplug it. You pay more for a device like that, but I personally prefer it over hassling with setup of a custom one running FlexRaid or anything like that.

shaefurr

12 TB?? Wow! I was excited to get a whole TB of space lol. I could not imagine how much room that would be. How do you have it setup? Do you have a device that you can insert HDDs into or do you have a computer with a RAID or what?  I have always wanted to offer cloud storage for my family, so I am interested in hearing how you can achieve 21 TB as a single volume!

I just have a case that holds 8 hard drives, and I use a software RAID, I like to use FlexRAIDYou can see all the drives in the right side of the case, and yeah I thought with 3TB I had a ton of space, but start adding tons of blu-rays and such and you'll see it disappears pretty fast. My Movies folder alone is 7TB

My first setup when I started doing this was just a laptop with an external 3TB hard drive, I pulled the drive out of it and put it into a small case when I ran out of room, and eventually went to this case when I filled that one up.

8fe2.jpg

Edited by shaefurr

AxelAxel3

I just have a case that holds 8 hard drives, and I use a software RAID, I like to use FlexRAIDYou can see all the drives in the right side of the case, and yeah I thought with 3TB I had a ton of space, but start adding tons of blu-rays and such and you'll see it disappears pretty fast. My Movies folder alone is 7TB

That is a awesome looking setup. I would love to have something like that setting around my house. The main thing holding me back from really offering a lot of cool services for my family for fun is bandwidth. My internet DL connection speed is about 75kbs on a good day and about 35kb/s upload. And there is nothing any better other than satellite, which I refuse to switch to because of the limits imposed on it.

I have about 100 80gb hard drives setting in my basement lol. But none of them are big enough for much data at all.  I will have to wait till the price of HDDs plummet before I can get something like that lol

Edited by alexander7567

shaefurr

Yeah I hear you on that, ive put about 5k into my setup over the past 4 years. No way I could have just bought all this right off. Here's a link to everything Im using at the moment My Rig - Ethereal Mist

shaefurr

DVDs I rip, blurays I covert to 1080p mkvs around 10-15gb. I like to use 9kbps video bitrate and audiocopy for them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

aspdend

I have about 20Tb used out of a 27Tb UnRAID server array that has 15HDD's and one SSD in it. That all sits in my server box behind the telly which is a Fractal Design Define XL case.

About 2400 films, 40,000+ music tracks, 1000 music videos, 700ish TV series, along with all my ebooks and photos etc.

My media is stored on the array using root folders generally

Tower/Movies

Tower/Movies HD

Tower/Music

Tower/Music - Christmas 

and so on

buddyweiser

Yeah I hear you on that, ive put about 5k into my setup over the past 4 years. No way I could have just bought all this right off. Here's a link to everything Im using at the moment My Rig - Ethereal Mist

I am in the process of building my first computer. I am leaving alot of room to upgrade, with a case supporting 6 HD bays. I plan on starting with one ssd for OS and I had planned on purchasing a 3TB WD red NAS drive, however I see you use WD green drives. What would be the difference in using red and green?

aspdend

the RED drives are enterprise class (and correspondingly more expensive) and much more reliable in the long term than other drives, the green drives are the eco drives that aim to reduce power consumption. When I made my server, most of the drives were from redundant units I no longer needed, but the new drives i bought were WD Red drives...

buddyweiser

Ok, I was just wondering if they were better for housing media, but if the red drives are more reliable, well i already have one purchased.

aspdend

I personally would go with the Red drives for a more reliable, longer lasting unit. Not too long ago I had a drive fail that lost a lot of my music files and prompted me to finally get around to building my UnRaid server. The loss of the files wasn't a big issue as I just re-ripped my CD's but it took ages to do and I can't be bothered again...

shaefurr

I went with green because Reds wern't around at the time, but Green and Reds now for a 3TB are within a $5 difference, so go with Reds.

aspdend

I went with green because Reds wern't around at the time, but Green and Reds now for a 3TB are within a $5 difference, so go with Reds.

Exactly, most of my drives are a mix of what was on offer at the time I bought them, including a couple of 320Gb drives that had been sitting around gathering dust for a few years before being re-purposed! When the drives start to fail or the server is getting too full, I shall start replacing the drives with 3Tb WD Red units...

Yeah I would definitely go with Red's only. Or Blacks if you can afford them, but that is a pretty large step up in price. All mine in my NAS are now Reds. Nothing below a Red now for mass storage. 

Airbender

Hi i am close to 27 TB at this moment with 11 Drives and mybe will add one more 4TB to properly be able to support and back up all my data and offline backup with crush plan

Good luck !

DaSilva

My library size is an example of a hobby that went out of control.

I've been building and changing and upgrading my home server for the last 8 years or so.

So now I have a Raid6 setup of 20 4TB drives totalling a space of 72GB :-D

My actual media library is about 50GB.

For the moment most of that is full Blu-Ray discs with menu's and extras included in iso, but when MBT is in further developement I'm planning to convert everything to mkv (main movie + extras).

Ow and here's a pic of my baby ;-)

Cheers!

uryzazu2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
xXSagaiaXx

I have just recently added a server into my home network. I have about 2000 movies on a 3tb drive. Most of my movies aren't more than 1gb each. I'm using a Dell Precision 490 as my server. Works perfectly.

S.