Emby TV with built-in tuner?

Longrifle

It needs to be an HD Homerun that has the Dlna feature. We will have to make that more clear.

WayneJD

This is a shame as in 2013 replaced my tuner in WMC to a BlackGold 3620, works perfectly and nothing wrong with it. The HD Homerun seems to be popular for HTPC for US based builders, but in the UK, the Homerun tuners are non-existent, hence we usually have to purchase PCI-E based cards.

I have been with MediaBrowser and now the move to Emby for years.  Be shame to have to leave because its Emby Live TV option is not going to support TV Tuner PCI-E cards.

Is PCI-E based cards something you will look into for Emby?

thanks in advance

Does Black Gold have an api? You do not have to leave Emby because all of the live tv plugins for external software are still supported. I am sure many or possibly even all of them will support your tuner.

Blackgold, just as TBS, Digital Devices and pretty much ALL European tuners use the Broadcast Driver Architecture. No DLNA required, direct access the the transport stream.

PitcherIT

Adding support for PCI-E cards gets my vote too, I'm still painstakingly running my Win 7 HTPC with Media Center as the TV Guide & PVR functions work effortlessly, but would love to be able to move to full EMBY and have it all in one place.

• 4 years later...

Hey, just found this thread... I have a blackgold tuner. Is there any way to get this perfectly good tuner working with EMBY Server (may entice me to get Emby Premiere if so). All I have been able to find is that Emby works HDHomerun which would mean I am paying them too for their subscription service (guides etc.) to watch FREEview.

When I go to add a tuner / TV Source, the only options are:

• Hauppage
  • HD Homerun
  • M3u tuner
  • Other

Strangely, with "Other" the save button disappears and I cannot do anything!

Edited by Kurosh

Spaceboy

Hey, just found this thread... I have a blackgold tuner. Is there any way to get this perfectly good tuner working with EMBY Server (may entice me to get Emby Premiere if so). All I have been able to find is that Emby works HDHomerun which would mean I am paying them too for their subscription service (guides etc.) to watch FREEview.

When I go to add a tuner / TV Source, the only options are:

• Hauppage
  • HD Homerun
  • M3u tuner
  • Other
Strangely, with "Other" the save button disappears and I cannot do anything!
youll have to use one of the supported backend, nextpvr, dvbviewer etc and the respective plugin or you can use any software that supports your card to generate an m3u and load that to emby. Personally I went the second way
  • Like 1

Dibbes

youll have to use one of the supported backend, nextpvr, dvbviewer etc and the respective plugin or you can use any software that supports your card to generate an m3u and load that to emby. Personally I went the second way

Do you have a step by step guide on how to config this properly?

Thanks. Which method is better (Windows 10)?

Not sure what the point is of having Emby Server in the middle if I use the corresponding Kodi addon to work directly with the PVR backend?

So either somehting like....

1. Emby for Kodi addon > Emby Server > Next PVR Backend

or

2. Next PVR frontend kodi addon > next PVR backend

Option 2 looks simpler, what value does Emby bring into the mix (ignoring the fact you'll have to pay for Emby premiere on top)?. It bring me back to my first question about simply getting the HDHomerun Kodi addon to directly communicate with the HDHomerun box as opposed to having the Emby server in the middle (again at an additional cost).

Edited by Kurosh

Spaceboy

Thanks. Which method is better (Windows 10)?

Not sure what the point is of having Emby Server in the middle if I use the corresponding Kodi addon to work directly with the PVR backend?

So either....

1. Emby for Kodi addon > Emby Server > PVR Backend

or

2. PVR frontend kodi addon > PVR backend

Option 2 looks simpler, what value does Emby bring into the mix (ignoring the fact you'll have to pay for Emby premiere on top)?. It bring me back to my first question about simply getting the HDHomerun Kodi addon to directly communicate with the HDHomerun box as opposed to having the Emby server in the middle (again at an additional cost).

well if you are using kodi as your client then there is no way of getting live tv from emby to kodi so you would have to go direct from pvr backend to kodi

why did you think you needed to, or wanted to, use emby?

Spaceboy

Yup... somehow I can't seem to make it work...

which bit are you struggling with?

i'm guessing the generation of the m3u as everything else should be straightforward. but let me know which backend software you are trying to use and i'll find some helpful guidelines. i've had it working with mediaportal, nextpvr and dvbviewer.

• Like 1

well if you are using kodi as your client then there is no way of getting live tv from emby to kodi so you would have to go direct from pvr backend to kodi

why did you think you needed to, or wanted to, use emby?

Thanks.

I wasn't sure you needed to, I'm confused what the point of Emby is when you have a PVR backend. I know you don't need it (e.g. PVR frontend addon in Kodi communicates with PVR backend) but am unclear what the DVR and Live TV section in EMBY Server is for? I'm under the impression Emby would communicate with the PVR backend and stream to the Emby kodi addon (no need to install separate Kodi PVR frontend). That right?

Also, not sure what the pros and cons are of using the PVR frontend vs the m3u method?

Spaceboy

Thanks.

I wasn't sure you needed to, I'm confused what the point of Emby is when you have a PVR backend. I know you don't need it (e.g. PVR frontend addon in Kodi communicates with PVR backend) but am unclear what the DVR and Live TV section in EMBY Server is for? I'm under the impression Emby would communicate with the PVR backend and stream to the Emby kodi addon (no need to install separate Kodi PVR frontend). That right?

Also, not sure what the pros and cons are of using the PVR frontend vs the m3u method?

well i guess most of the emby users do not use kodi as the client.

if you are using a backend, lets say dvbviewer, then that does all the recording. the plugins just allow you to do use the outputs of the backends (live and recorded tv as well as scheduling) in any of the true emby clients (not kodi).

no, with kodi as a client, as far as i am aware, you can only watch media thats on your pc. no streaming of live tv. i'm sure you could watch stuff that has already been recorded but no live tv

benefits of the m3u method versus using one of the plugins is you get all the emby recording functionality. for me it was always a bit hit and miss and certainly much slower to start streams if i used a plugin

Edited by Spaceboy

Dibbes

which bit are you struggling with?

i'm guessing the generation of the m3u as everything else should be straightforward. but let me know which backend software you are trying to use and i'll find some helpful guidelines. i've had it working with mediaportal, nextpvr and dvbviewer.

it's indeed the M3U creation, mainly because it's a very old TV card... I'm going to play with it for a bit and see what I can do with NextPVR or something... One day I'll get it to work