Problems with Live TV on new server build with Ceton 6 Tuner Card

tphillip1120

tphillip1120

I recently built another Emby Server with a Ceton 6 tuner pcie card. I am on Time Warner Cable

which requires an external tuning adapter in order to get all the encrypted channels. ServerWMC

can see most of the channels that the tuner can see (667 out 688). After first installing the new Ceton

I was able to get into the Emby's LiveTv Guide, but paging through it hung the web interface.

I then tried watching live tv on a HD channel and I received either a blank grey screen where

the video should have been, or I received a single video frame while the only sound was an alternating

buzzing and humming. I tried some other channels that were not HD and sometimes they worked

ok and sometimes they exhibited the same issue stated above.

I have disabled DLNA on both Emby and ServerWMC, increased the initial buffer time in ServewrWMC from the default of 10,000 to 20,000,

and have also tried enabling Use HTTP in ServerWMC. Nothing seems to have an effect.

My server is a quad core i-7 with 12 gigs of ram so I know it is not a hardware performance issue.

I am scratching my head over this because all channels work find in Windows Media Center. I have

also now noticed that it takes a very long time to load guide data in the Emby Web Client but I

attributed that to now having 667 channels.

I have another Emby Server with an analog Hauppauge 2250 tuner card  and it works flawlessly. I wanted

to go with a Ceton Card because of the 6 Tuners and also because I heard that Time Warner is going completely

digital in my area within the next year.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the Ceton card with a Time Warner Tuning Adapter connected

and how they may have fixed it.

I am at work currently and cannot upload my server logs, (forgot to enable RDP on the new server build) but can upload

them later this evening when I get home.

krustyreturns

It sounds to me like your twc channels are drm'd, that's why only wmc will play them.  And if I recall right, my users have reported that twc drm's everything (nice right?).  The swmc log should show if this is true, but a simple test is to record a wtv off of one of these channels and then try to play the file in emby.

tphillip1120

Thanks Krusty, but if TWC DRM'd all channels then why does my Hauppauge 2250 card work fine? Maybe because it's an analog/digital card? I will give it a try tonight and let you know. Any idea about what could be causing my channel guide issues?

krustyreturns

The 2250 can only receive analog or clearQAM, and I assume it's a small subset of the channels the ceton is receiving.  I don't know about the long load times of the guide data, but certainly 667 channels doesn't help.  You can always have emby just input the channels you care about to speed things up if that's the problem.

tphillip1120

Well I tried viewing a few more channels tonight with the same result. Video freezes on first frame and then I get strange buzzing noises for the volume. Looking at the log, it doesn't appear that the channels are encrypted. The log states that your DRM Query did fail though. It looks to me like the stream is starting and then stopping, but you probably can tell whats going on more than I can. I have attached the log. Could you please let me know what you think and if there might be a possible solution.

Thanks,

Tony

ServerWMC.log

krustyreturns

The drm query problem can likely be fixed by rebooting your serverwmc machine.  But still the cleanest drm test is to try and play a wtv file recorded from these channels with emby (or vlc or kodi or ...).

tphillip1120

Well, I tried playing a recorded show in VLC and it is doing the same thing as Emby.

Damn I hate Time Warner. Too bad someone can't figure out how to play streams

using the media center player, capture video and then re-stream it. I can't believe

they encrypt everything. Looks like it's back to the Hauppauge 2250 card for

now. Thanks for looking into this for me Krusty.