? about Live TV!

darkknight

darkknight

Hi: New to this forum (this tech in general) so I hope I'm not asking these questions again? Have a few "live TV" ?...1) what add-ons will work up here in Canada 2) what TV tuner card is a good one to get? I live in a area of Ontario that doesn't fare very well at OTA(if that is what is necessary if I reduce or cancel my cable TV with Rogers) will this affect my success at getting Live TV using Emby? Thanks for any input/links & again sorry if this has been asked before or if in wrong area!! :unsure:

Blueeyiz702

i wondered the same thing,what hardware is good to use to recieve live tv thru windows 7 32bit? i was told its the Hdhomerun,are there any alternatives that work as good but little less costly?

jasonmcroy

It really depends on your set up. The three different devices I have used over the past few years have each worked well for me in their own right for what I needed. When I first started I had OTA only and I used a Kworld USB dongle that I ran my antenna cable to. It worked fine for me. I always used it with the program called NextPVR to record to my computer. 

Last year I decided to get an HDHomerun network tuner to replace the Kworld so I could run Live TV around my house via my router. It worked fine for me. HDHomerun has several different types of tuner boxes depending on your need. The first one I bought was only for OTA TV via the antenna. I recently moved and now have to have cable TV as it is more difficult for me to get OTA stations to come in really well. So, I bought the HDHomerun Prime which works with a cable card that I got from my cable provider. With that set up I don't have to pay the $8 per month to lease their cable box and another $10 for their DVR service. 

This set up has been working fine for me in my situation. I still have been using NextPVR to record via the HDHomerun until the Emby Devs created the plugin to directly access my HDHomerun feed and record via the Server. It's still being developed but has been working really well for the last couple of updates. I am slowly moving away from NextPVR as my recorder. 

There is a plugin developed for the server for NextPVR and WMC that work really well also, no matter what tuner set up you have. 

I am not really familiar with the other TV Tuners out there so I can't comment on those. I know a company called Ceton has one but if you're looking at cost, I believe that one is pricey also.

darkknight

Hi: That is not good for me as OTA here in London,Ontario(not the UK,LOL) is a big issue as not many channels are picked up that way!!! My hope is to find a way to get as many OTA channels using a different method so if there are any fellow Canadains who live in a rual area of Ontario in particluar chime in and share your solution to this problem if their is one????