High CPU and disk usage

somy

Hi,

I recently experienced some problem with Emby server which constantly has high CPU >50% and disk usage.

This makes the entire PC freezing every noun and then, and Emby web client is not responsive to HTTP requests. According to the resource manager, it seems to me that Emby is scanning through all my photos, and another system process is writing to %appdata%\Local\Temp\magick-X during the period. I can only stop this by killing the Emby process and restart it again.

Does anybody have similar issue and is there any settings I should change to prevent this?

Thank you!

55d35b02dd1cc_20150818_180800.jpg

post-4441-0-64395100-1439914771_thumb.jpg

FrostByte

I have seen the same thing ever since image magik was added to Emby.  My scan times went from less than 5 minutes to around 45 minutes per scan which is why I have mine set to only scan at startup.  If I remove music and photos from my library it finishes in minutes again.  I have a large amount of photos and music artwork scans which I assume is why it takes so long.

• Like 1

I have seen the same thing ever since image magik was added to Emby.  My scan times went from less than 5 minutes to around 45 minutes per scan which is why I have mine set to only scan at startup.  If I remove music and photos from my library it finishes in minutes again.  I have a large amount of photos and music artwork scans which I assume is why it takes so long.

OK, thank you for the reply!

I have a large photo collection, and it took several hours to scan the lib during which my PC is not really usable as it consumes a lot of CPU resource (I have an i3 CPU). It seems emby will always do a full scan, wouldn't it make sense to do "incremental" scan only for new/changed items? And do you know what is "image magik" and why do we need it?

FrostByte

I don't need it :)  I think one of the things it does is creates those thumbs that have the different slices of your images into one image.  I'm sure it does other stuff too though so someone else might be able to explain it better. 

I think it will always do a complete scan at startup.  Turn off scanning on media changes or scheduling scans to be done while your asleep/away would help it from scanning while you're using the computer.  I believe it still has to scan your entire library to see if any changes were made, then it processes only the changes

OK, I actually don't like this thing with slices in thumbs, it would be nice if we could have an option to turn it off......

But thanks for the hint!

Happy2Play

OK, I actually don't like this thing with slices in thumbs, it would be nice if we could have an option to turn it off......

But thanks for the hint!

See here.

Just FYI - IM is a necessary component for all of the image handling the server does.   The fancy view images are just a bonus.

• Like 1