How to get started contributing to documentation?

prcutler

prcutler

Hi all,

I have a question on how to get started contributing to documentation on the Github wiki.  I just installed Emby a couple weeks ago (which is great so far!) and I have a lot of experience in writing documentation for other open source projects.  There were a couple little things I wanted to update in the docs, but I can't seem to figure it out.

The Wiki repository at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki says:  The wiki can be edited directly from the github website.

I couldn't figure out how to edit the Wiki right from the website.  Thanks to Emby's Twitter account, I was able to clone the wiki locally in Github desktop.  But when I try to sync my changes in the Github Desktop client I get an error:

Authentication failed

You may not have permission to access Wiki.wiki. Check Preferences to make sure you’re still logged in.

I'm logged in and commit to my other repos.  Do I not have access to contribute? You can't (as far as I can tell) clone a wiki and branch it and send a pull request.  What is the right way to do this?

Thanks!

Paul

Hi there, welcome. Try using the fork button on the top-right hand corner of the page. That will create your own copy within your own github account. Make your changes there. Then when you're ready, I'll see how they can be merged in. What sections were you planning on working on?

prcutler

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

I did start by forking the Wiki - you can see it here in my repo, but it only forks the Readme.md file, the wiki content does not follow the fork:  i 

If I click the Wiki link in the sidebar, the Wiki is empty in my fork.  That's where I'm stuck.

I can clone the Wiki content locally by going back to the original repo and clicking "Clone in Desktop" link in the bottom right.  But that's when I can't sync any changes I've made with the authentication error in the first post.  I hope that makes sense.

I was going to fix a small typo on the sync page and add a note on the Library Setup page about Linux servers needing content locally mounted for network drives.

Thanks again.

Paul