New to Emby - iTunes Import

Harpua

I've migrated my iTunes (nice/neat) Library to Emby and now I have a huge mess on my hands.

1. Multiple Grateful Deads (like 5) and other artist

- I can edit the metadata but no changes seem to stick/nothing happens/ or it disappears

2. Multiple listings for multidiscs. No, I don't have subfolders for disc 1, disc 2, ect. I have D1T1...ect. Does this mean I'll always see Multi-Discs separated like this? I view multi-disc as 1 complete album. I don't wanna view my music by the disc, I want to view it by the album (especially if I am in the album category.)

I'm new to this, have read some of the tutorials, but I'd rather not have to restructure my file system if I don't have to. I hate iTunes, but for metadata editing, emby has a what seems like a long way to go to match the ease and access of editing metadata. I hope I'm wrong, though. 

For #1 - how are they tagged? Rather than edit the metadata, you're better off tagging the audio and letting Emby adjust to that.

For #2 - same question.

Excellent! I'll look into that. Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: I must be doing something wrong. From within the Emby Server Dashboard for Windows, tag edits don't seem to stick after I save.

Edited by Harpua

Vicpa

Hi @@Harpua

Can't have multiple Dead listings (See my logo, it just won't do, :) ) A couple of suggestions having made the migration from iTunes myself some time ago.

-If you want your multi disc albums to show up as one. I use the folder structure.

Artist 

Album name

1-01 track name

2-01

iTunes shows this under "Get Info"  track x of x, Disk x of x.

Emby is sensitive to name variations. Grateful Dead (which I believe is correct) vs The Grateful Dead, etc. 

Emby does a pretty good job reading embed tags in music files. There are a lot of taggers programs out there I use Picard. A lot of emby users like MP3tag as well. Both can tag files and even move and rename to file structures that emby can use.

I am sure others can help/have suggestions as well.  The music support/ui in the emby win 10 client is great! Worth the pain of tweaking files.

Your mileage of course my vary 

-Vicpa

FrostByte

Excellent! I'll look into that. Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: I must be doing something wrong. From within the Emby Server Dashboard for Windows, tag edits don't seem to stick after I save.

You can't modify the id3 tags within Emby

You can't modify the id3 tags within Emby

Yeah, I know there is a "Tags" field in the Emby metadata editor but those are our tags which are saved in metadata for all Emby items.  You need to edit the tags within the mp3 files using one of the tools suggested by Vicpa.

@@Vicpa - Yeah, it's "Grateful Dead" vs "The Grateful Dead" (and a while back I also thought a separate artist - "Grateful Dead (Dick's Picks) was a good idea. That's what "collections" are for I presume.)

My music file structure shouldn't need that much tweaking. Unless, that is, if each disc needs it's own subfolder/subdirectory. I do have all my Dick's Picks in one directory inside the Grateful Dead directory, however. Would I have to move those? Some have the seperate disc folders, but most of my music doesn't

Grateful Dead

- Axoxmoxa

- Other Studio Albums

- 1977-05-08 Cornell University

- Dick's Picks

- vol. 1

- vol. 2

- vol. 3

- ect

@@FrostByte - Seems I am out of the loop when it comes to music metadata and tagging as I've never used a program specifically for tagging. Will have to check the above mentioned out.

Another quick question for my fellow deadheads...Would it be possible to tag the famous ">" symbol? Or link it to the next track if I'm shuffling all my songs? We (us deadheads) all know that an ">" that follows a song in the setlist usually means the next song on the album is to follow almost seamlessly. When in a shuffle, this breaks this as a new song from the library is shuffled and played. I've always wondered about this (well, this and leaving certain songs out of a shuffle like Intro, tuning and chatter). Maybe w/ Emby this is/will be possible?

I'd like to get away from iTunes all together (the new update is said to discard/delete duplicate songs, or so I've heard. No more multiple live versions for songs as a way to "clean" up our library. Us dead heads are surely among the minority theses days.

FrostByte

Yeah, I know there is a "Tags" field in the Emby metadata editor but those are our tags which are saved in metadata for all Emby items.  You need to edit the tags within the mp3 files using one of the tools suggested by Vicpa.

Heh, that's what I was trying to say to Harpua :)

FrostByte

Another quick question for my fellow deadheads...Would it be possible to tag the famous ">" symbol? Or link it to the next track if I'm shuffling all my songs? We (us deadheads) all know that an ">" that follows a song in the setlist usually means the next song on the album is to follow almost seamlessly. When in a shuffle, this breaks this as a new song from the library is shuffled and played. I've always wondered about this (well, this and leaving certain songs out of a shuffle like Intro, tuning and chatter). Maybe w/ Emby this is/will be possible?

So, what you want to do is shuffle a long playlist but keep certain songs (or a whole album) together even after it's shuffled?​  I don't think you can, but I can see where that would be nice on a few songs from Sgt Pepper's or Abbey Road where the songs run together

Vicpa

Hi,

I just treat Dick's Picks volumes as separate albums under the Dead. There is even art for some of them.

So for your example

- Axoxmoxa

- Other Studio Albums

- Dick's Picks, Volume  1

-Dick's Picks, Volume  2

55d0abe9095c4_dead.png

They display nicely :)

So, what you want to do is shuffle a long playlist but keep certain songs (or a whole album) together even after it's shuffled?​  I don't think you can, but I can see where that would be nice on a few songs from Sgt Pepper's or Abbey Road where the songs run together

Right Sgt Pepper's, Abbey Rd, Dark Side of the Moon...you get the idea.

For Grateful Dead music, especially live, songs that run together are usually tagged w/ a ">" in the song title. So, for Pink Floyd's, "Dark Side of the Moon" album, it look something like this:

Speak To Me >

Breathe >

On the Run >

...ect....ect...ect

Wondering if there was some script that could be run when shuffle is activated to que up next song if the song that is playing contains a ">" in the song's title. This would create a gapless, "full" listening experience IMO. Many Grateful Dead songs are paired w/ other songs even played live.

China Cat Sunflower >

I Know You Rider

...and who could forget:

Scarlet Begonias >

Fire On The Mountain

If you've listened to as much GD as I have, one knows how painful it is hearing a great Scarlet, knowing that the Fire won't follow.

• Like 1

Hi,

I just treat Dick's Picks volumes as separate albums under the Dead. There is even art for some of them.

So for your example

- Axoxmoxa

- Other Studio Albums

- Dick's Picks, Volume  1

-Dick's Picks, Volume  2

55d0abe9095c4_dead.png

They display nicely :)

I just spent a good bit of time organizing my Dick's Picks collection. Still in a directory called, "Dick's Picks" at the moment. Edited some missing tags using windows 7 editor and checked/appended them w/ Picard.

That got rid of 5 of the 7 listings for the Grateful Dead inside Emby. So, I'm still showing 2. Same name, same amnt of songs. Can't find the difference yet. (except for the fact that one listing states the actual location of the artists on my HDD and the other shows the metadata location inside my AppData folder...)

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Harpua

Problem solved. I just had to rename the double entry to "DELETE THIS DOUBLE ENTRY". Now, all I have to do is ignore the artist. I know, not a solution, but without being able to delete the entry, I'm not sure what else to do. The entry was created within the App Data folder for Emby/metadata and called, "The Grateful Dead". I tried deleting the entry from that folder, but no luck. Guess I'll have a massive "Double Entry" Artist that I have to ignore.

FrostByte

If you're seeing two Grateful Dead artists then it is most likely still spelled two different ways (with and without "The") somewhere in the id tags of your songs still and Emby will keep adding it back if you delete it.  Took me forever to find a few of mine, but I eventually found them on a Various Artists album or something. 

You may need to do a feature request for the playlist thing.  There is a section of the forum for that.

I seemed to have ironed a few things out by checking every tag for Grateful Dead. Seems a temp directory was also scanned and I somehow missed those GD entries. Anyway, all good now.

Learning and loving this program.

I still have duplicate MultiDisc, but I think it's due to the fact that I have each disc in it's own directory (i.e. disc 1, disc 2). I was hoping for multidisc art .pngs, but those are hard to come by and I've abandoned most of my hard copies for digitals (a shame, I know...had no choice)

Edited by Harpua

FrostByte

I think separate music folders in albumname disk x format was recently added.  Other methods are a single folder using the disc id3tag and lastly a albumname folder with disk 1, disk 2, etc subfolders.  I prefer the single folder method using id3tags to indicate the disk# and it seems like the one that has the best chance of matching the album name in my experience. 

You may want to check out this link for folder structures, though it hasn't been updated with the method you're using.  The trick is to get the id3tags and folder names as close to what is in musicbrainz in order for it to find your album.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

Edited by FrostByte

I think separate music folders in albumname disk x format was recently added.  Other methods are a single folder using the disc id3tag and lastly a albumname folder with disk 1, disk 2, etc subfolders.  I prefer the single folder method using id3tags to indicate the disk# and it seems like the one that has the best chance of matching the album name in my experience. 

You may want to check out this link for folder structures, though it hasn't been updated with the method you're using.  The trick is to get the id3tags and folder names as close to what is in musicbrainz in order for it to find your album.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

Thanks for the link. For some reason, the only way I was able to get  Multiple Discs to show up in 1 Album list was to get rid of the disc subfolders. Oddly enough, the Wiki seems to notate otherwise.

• 3 years later...