Manually change file path

mangis
Go to solution Solved by d00zah,

mangis

Hi Guys

Just wondering if it's possible anywhere to manually change the file path ?

I have a fair few series where there is a related movie listed as a special episode. I renamed a file so that it would show up in the metadata editor and wanted to change the path to point to the actual file that is in the movie folder but it's a locked field.

Is there any metadata / DB file that I could edit to get this to work ? or would the stubs feature be any good for this ?

Thanks

• Solution
d00zah

My solution involved media stored on a NAS but ought to be adaptable to other situations...

I have a physical movie (displayed from the perspective of the NAS file system):

/shares/Media/Movies/Cowboy Bebop- The Movie (2001)/Cowboy Bebop- The Movie (2001).mkv

but also want it listed as a special for the TV series. I SSH into the NAS & cd to the 'Season 0' folder of the series:

cd '/'shares/Media/TV/Cowboy Bebop [series]/Season 0'

and create a symlink to the movie (named using the TV series naming convention):

ln -s '/shares/Media/Movies/Cowboy Bebop- The Movie (2001)/Cowboy Bebop- The Movie (2001).mkv' 'S00E01 - Knockin' On Heavan's Door.mkv'

The movie now shows up under Movies AND is listed as a special under TV. This solution has worked for me in dozens of instances, although I seem to recall that both Movies & TV libraries need to be in the same share. YMMV

If the file is stored on a Windows filesystem, I suppose the same could be accomplished with an appropriately named shortcut. You'd need to experiment with your particular topology.

Regardless, Emby detects them as separate files in their respective locations. Just be aware that if the source (Movie) is moved, the broken link will cause issues.

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 1

mangis

Thanks for the tip.

The files are on windows so am using the mklink command to try and create the symlink. Haven't been successful so far, it's not liking something with the syntax of the command I'm using.

Once I get it right it should do exactly what I need.

Thanks again

mangis

Works a charm when you use the right kind of quotes. That'll teach me for being slack and just copy / pasting from some documentation.