Newbie needs help, setup works but can't play files

gmacman

gmacman

I’m trying to setup Emby using the FreeNAS plugin to be used with the Kodi/Emby plugin on a few FireTVs.  I'm a real newbie with all this (including setting up the FreeNAS machine) so please go easy on me.

I’ve tried to look over a number of other “newbie” threads but I’m afraid the few that talk about path substation (which is where I think I may have messed up) don’t go into details about what it should look like (or at least in the detail I need to understand it).

The steps I’ve done:

I set up Emby plugin within a jail adding storage to my FreeNAS and it certainly is working with syncing metadata.  I can manage the Emby server thru the IP that the FreeNAS jail provided (so I get to the dashboard, managing the files, etc.)

However, I cannot play any file either thru Kodi or even thru the browser where I can access the Dashboard.  I currently have path substation (which again being a newbie I’m not quite sure I did this correctly) as follows:

From
/usr/local/videolibrary
(this is the storage “Destination” within the emby jail)

To
\\mnt\granland\Movies
(this is the storage “Source” within the emby jail)

I’m attaching the transcode log file when I try to play a movie via browser.

Also, I’m a Mac guy so maybe I did not correctly set up the CIFS since the last line in the log states “file:/usr/local/videolibrary/Clue (1985).mkv: Permission denied”.   But I set this up with just the very basic settings.

So, I’m completely lost and don’t get why I can see and manage the server (including accessing the files to manage metadata) but can’t access the file to play.  Any detail help or even pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

emby_log.txt

gmacman

Okay, figured out my permissions issue.  I'm sure everyone setting up Emby on a FreeNAS knows this already, but just in case there is another complete noob like me I thought I'd share my error and the fix.   My error was not having the permissions within the jail that the Emby plugin resides set correctly.  My fix using the gui was to go to the Storage tab, in the Volumes subtab select the jail in which the emby plugin is in.  Then select Change Permissions.  At first (and in order to get things working easily) I merely set permissions for everything full rwx for Owner, Group and Other.

I'll play around with this a bit to see if I can limit it to merely the Owner and Group.

This has only solved my playing the files thru http tho.  My next adventure is to fix the Kodi/Emby plugin so that Kodi on my FireTV can play the files direct without playing them thru http (and thus transcoding).  I'm reasonbily sure it's a path substiution issue and I just need to wrap my head around it.  I have FreeNAS setup with CIFS already for my wife's Windows laptop and NFS for my Mac, so like the permissions issue, just a matter of time before I figure it out.

:)

Although a little challenging for such a simple minded noob like myself, I must say moving from Plex to Emby is WELL worth it.

Edited by gmacman

josh4trunks

@@gmacman you jail is broken and if you restart the jail / FreeNAS emby will no longer start. Never change the permissions of the jail datasets, only of datasets that you mount into your jails.

• Like 1

gmacman

@@gmacman you jail is broken and if you restart the jail / FreeNAS emby will no longer start. Never change the permissions of the jail datasets, only of datasets that you mount into your jails.

josh4trunks,

Many thanks.

Okay, removed this jail (which was created with the plugin, so I stopped it and then had to delete the plugin) and restarted the process (installing the plugin, etc.).  Set the permissions in the actual datasets first and then add them to the jail.   And I am back to being able to view media. 

Again, thanks.

PhilWhite

Okay, figured out my permissions issue.  I'm sure everyone setting up Emby on a FreeNAS knows this already, but just in case there is another complete noob like me I thought I'd share my error and the fix.   My error was not having the permissions within the jail that the Emby plugin resides set correctly.  My fix using the gui was to go to the Storage tab, in the Volumes subtab select the jail in which the emby plugin is in.  Then select Change Permissions.  At first (and in order to get things working easily) I merely set permissions for everything full rwx for Owner, Group and Other.

I'll play around with this a bit to see if I can limit it to merely the Owner and Group.

This has only solved my playing the files thru http tho.  My next adventure is to fix the Kodi/Emby plugin so that Kodi on my FireTV can play the files direct without playing them thru http (and thus transcoding).  I'm reasonbily sure it's a path substiution issue and I just need to wrap my head around it.  I have FreeNAS setup with CIFS already for my wife's Windows laptop and NFS for my Mac, so like the permissions issue, just a matter of time before I figure it out.

:)

Although a little challenging for such a simple minded noob like myself, I must say moving from Plex to Emby is WELL worth it.

Went through the same discovery process myself a few months ago.

Yes, path substitution will fix it.

'From' is your path out of the jail and 'To' is a direct path to your media -- so for my system from media/Movies (for instance) To \\(freenas computer name)\(sharename)\Movies

Then you won't need to use http

Edited by PhilWhite

josh4trunks

josh4trunks,

Many thanks.

Okay, removed this jail (which was created with the plugin, so I stopped it and then had to delete the plugin) and restarted the process (installing the plugin, etc.).  Set the permissions in the actual datasets first and then add them to the jail.   And I am back to being able to view media. 

Again, thanks.

Glad it works!

gmacman

Went through the same discovery process myself a few months ago.

Yes, path substitution will fix it.

'From' is your path out of the jail and 'To' is a direct path to your media -- so for my system from media/Movies (for instance) To \\(freenas computer name)\(sharename)\Movies

Then you won't need to use http

Thanks PhilWhite!!!

Your comments totally helped this noob.   :)   Path substiution is working perfectly now, turned off http and everything is playing perfectly thru Kodi with the Emby addon.

PhilWhite

Great, glad you got it working.  It's a terrific service and the new server version -- once it is ready -- will be even better with live TV integrated directly into the server.  You can use the Emby TV plugin now and record directly to your FreeNAS server, but I think the new version will be even better.

• 1 year later...
DWSMedia

Apologies to open old thread
FreeNAS running for nearly two years
Media files are already shared via an owncloud in another jail
Media files owned by www/www (rwxrwxr--) for obvious reasons

Files served through owncloud  as they should

Do we really need to set two rwxrwxrwx for all media files in order for Emby to operate?

Or should the files be owned by another user at unix level?

Thank you

irnerd

DWSMedia

Log Entry pursuant to this issue:

2016-09-03 14:05:55.8665 Error HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Environment/DirectoryContents?includeDirectories=true&path=%2Fmedia%2Fmusic

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.0.6400.0

Command line: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffprobe -programdata

/var/db/emby-server

Operating system: Unix 9.1.0.0

Processor count: 2

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

Program data path: /var/db/emby-server

Mono: 4.4.2 (Stable 4.4.2.11/f72fe45 Mon Aug 22 04:48:30 UTC 2016)

Application Path: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Win32 IO returned ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES. Path: /media/music

ServiceStack.HttpError

No Stack Trace Available

InnerException: System.IO.IOException

Win32 IO returned ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES. Path: /media/music

at System.IO.Directory+<EnumerateKind>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () <0x804f4fd40 + 0x003cc> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo+<CreateEnumerateDirectoriesIterator>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () <0x80fe8bcf0 + 0x002ae> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2[TSource,TResult].MoveNext () <0x803d3e5e0 + 0x001b5> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].MoveNext () <0x804f30390 + 0x00175> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable+<ConcatIterator>c__IteratorE`1[TSource].MoveNext () <0x80fe8b060 + 0x00204> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2[TSource,TResult].MoveNext () <0x803d3e5e0 + 0x001b5> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) <0x800a28660 + 0x002f6> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource] (IEnumerable`1 source) <0x800a28420 + 0x00083> in <filename unknown>:0

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.GetFileSystemEntries (MediaBrowser.Api.GetDirectoryContents request) <0x8124e5c40 + 0x00228> in <filename unknown>:0

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.Get (MediaBrowser.Api.GetDirectoryContents request) <0x8124e5880 + 0x00229> in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Closure,object,object)

at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1[TRequest].Execute (IRequest request, System.Object instance, ServiceStack.Host.TRequest requestDto) <0x80ffe8500 + 0x00401> in <filen

ame unknown>:0

Edited by DWSMedia

Apologies to open old thread

FreeNAS running for nearly two years

Media files are already shared via an owncloud in another jail

Media files owned by www/www (rwxrwxr--) for obvious reasons

Files served through owncloud  as they should

Do we really need to set two rwxrwxrwx for all media files in order for Emby to operate?

Or should the files be owned by another user at unix level?

Thank you

irnerd

Emby does not need write access, no.