Has anyone used the nVidia Shield Console?

whitestrat13

whitestrat13

I am ready for a change from my Roku 3. I would like to give the android tv client a try. I'm down to either the fire tv, or the shield, as I need a wired network connection.

I have been keeping an eye on the shield since it was announced. It is by far the most powerful android box I have seen in a while. I would assume it would have no problem with emby. Has anyone tried it with emby yet?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PhinkBig

Yes, I purchased a Shield console almost exclusively to run Emby. While the Emby ATV app had a few issues when it was fresh, EBR has made incredible progress in making it a mature app. From my experiance, the box is several times faster in all respects than a Roku, which previously had been one of the easiest ways to get Emby to a TV.

The only thing holding me back from using a Shield everywhere is lack of bitstreaming. There have been several indications that nVidia will be bringing that and possibly 3D to the console in the near future, although if that is critical to your setup, I would probably wait a little longer.

I cannot comment on how it does for Live TV, although I know other members here are using it for that purpose. My setup is almost all movies and tv shows saved to my server in MKV or MP4 format. I have also toyed with some of the games and other features of the console, but they are not what I purchased it for.

WAF is also extremely high, especially with the optional media remote, which nVidia has a 50% deal on right now.

Hope that helps.

CBers

I am ready for a change from my Roku 3. I would like to give the android tv client a try. I'm down to either the fire tv, or the shield, as I need a wired network connection.

You can use a USB to Ethernet adapter for the Nexus Player, so don't discount it. I use it connected like that, as do a few other people on the forums.

If you are an Amazon Prime user, then go for the Fire TV, otherwise it's a lot of money to use just Emby on it, although you can sideload Kodi and the the Emby for Kodi addon.

The Emby for Android TV app and Kodi can both be installed on the Nexus Player from the Google Play Store.

whitestrat13

@@CBers, that is a good point. I totally forgot. Are there any USB to Ethernet adapters that you recommend?

I am still considering the shield for local game streaming from my PC, as I don't have a game console. @@PhinkBig have used the ATV client on any other devices? How does the experience on the shield compare?

PhinkBig

@@CBers, that is a good point. I totally forgot. Are there any USB to Ethernet adapters that you recommend?

I am still considering the shield for local game streaming from my PC, as I don't have a game console. @@PhinkBig have used the ATV client on any other devices? How does the experience on the shield compare?

I personally have not...have only used the Roku 3 and dedicated HTPC clients with Emby. I would assume the Nexus player would also make a great option with the ethernet adaptor.

I went with Sheild planning that the extra horsepower and features (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K, etc) would future proof it for me. But if your environment was already served by a Roku, then any of the options should be a great step up.

Deihmos

Why would you need a wired conection? I have roku 3, htpcs and nexus player all wireless without a single issue.

jasonmcroy

I am using a Shield device, Nexus Player and Roku 3. I went with the usb to ethernet adapter on the Nexus player as I prefer having the direct connection when I can. Wifi seems to not perform as well for me.

The Nexus player seems to have some issues when I try to use it for Live TV (I have an HDHomerun prime tuner on my network) but the Shield handles Live TV nicely. I don't do very much gaming but I wanted to get the Shield for it's horsepower and future usage as I think the hardware will be useful for future updates.

Between the 3 I like the Shield best for it's playback capabilities so far, but the Roku still has the largest number of apps if you need that. I miss having Amazon on the Shield device and I would like to see more apps come to it. Hopefully soon they will. I use a lot of the TV Network apps that take advantage of my cable subscription (like FX, Comedy Central, History channel, etc).

So, to some degree it depends on what you will use it for the most. Any one of them performs pretty well in my opinion.

whitestrat13

Why would you need a wired conection? I have roku 3, htpcs and nexus player all wireless without a single issue.

I live in an apartment. The 2.4 Ghz band is totally saturated, and the 5.0 Ghz band isn't much better.

Everyone has given me some good food for thought. My last question is whether or not the shield can natively decode MPEG2? My library is mostly 1:1 mkv rips, with a few old titles that I encoded to h.264. Most of my bluray mkvs play now with no more than a container swap, but my DVD mkvs typically need encoding. My understanding at this point, is that the hardware can do MPEG2, but it is not licensed for it.

Gustovier

Yes, I purchased a Shield console almost exclusively to run Emby. While the Emby ATV app had a few issues when it was fresh, EBR has made incredible progress in making it a mature app. From my experiance, the box is several times faster in all respects than a Roku, which previously had been one of the easiest ways to get Emby to a TV.

The only thing holding me back from using a Shield everywhere is lack of bitstreaming. There have been several indications that nVidia will be bringing that and possibly 3D to the console in the near future, although if that is critical to your setup, I would probably wait a little longer.

I cannot comment on how it does for Live TV, although I know other members here are using it for that purpose. My setup is almost all movies and tv shows saved to my server in MKV or MP4 format. I have also toyed with some of the games and other features of the console, but they are not what I purchased it for.

WAF is also extremely high, especially with the optional media remote, which nVidia has a 50% deal on right now.

Hope that helps.

Where did you find the remote with a 50% discount? I would definitely purchase it with that discount but not at current $50 price

gdog1977

I live in an apartment. The 2.4 Ghz band is totally saturated, and the 5.0 Ghz band isn't much better.

Everyone has given me some good food for thought. My last question is whether or not the shield can natively decode MPEG2? My library is mostly 1:1 mkv rips, with a few old titles that I encoded to h.264. Most of my bluray mkvs play now with no more than a container swap, but my DVD mkvs typically need encoding. My understanding at this point, is that the hardware can do MPEG2, but it is not licensed for it.

Shield decodes mpeg 2 with hardware acceleration using the built in Live TV app that is fed from HDHR View app.  If the licence is in the system or app I don't know.  Also, Emby now uses VLC player that plays back my recorded live tv mpeg2 content without transcoding so I think your good.

gdog1977

I'

How bad is the judder on the shield since it can't do refresh rate changes?

I've never been sensitive to true refresh rates,and always found 3:2 pulldown to be excellent.  A long time HTPC WMC user and always used Mediabroswer at 60hz with 3:2.  Nothing different here.  What I DO notice is transcoding, and that is unacceptable for me.  Fortunately, everything I throw at this box is direct play.  If your sensitive to such judder, Kodi does support refresh change, if you can stomach the interface.

Deathsquirrel

Have there been any official updates on the availability of a codec pack for hd audio?  This would be a really compelling device with richer codec support and I know they were considering making those available at a cost.

PhinkBig

Where did you find the remote with a 50% discount? I would definitely purchase it with that discount but not at current $50 price

Here is the link: http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-bundle

Would be nice for first time buyers, and although the media remote is nice, it's a bit pricey to purchase by itself.

Have there been any official updates on the availability of a codec pack for hd audio?  This would be a really compelling device with richer codec support and I know they were considering making those available at a cost.

Not officially, but alot of speculation revolves around the Android M release for the Sheild...hopefully they are rolling in new features to that release. 

Edit: nVidia rep just replied to the codec requests on their forum: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836487/shield-android-tv/codec-support-/post/4643025/#4643025

Edited by PhinkBig