NAS

Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse

Will there be an addon for NAS'es like WD or Synology?

I am in the progress of buying a new NAS for replacing my old Buffalo, and want to know if there is something "in the pipe"

Happy2Play

Have you looked here?

What are you calling an add-on?

Edited by Happy2Play

trusselo

Will there be an addon for NAS'es like WD or Synology?

I am in the progress of buying a new NAS for replacing my old Buffalo, and want to know if there is something "in the pipe"

NAS's are by definition Network Attached Storage.  

A NAS does not have a processor that can run programs such as emby or any "add-on".

Some NAS drives come with software that is run by your PC, or does have some basic built-in functions for backing up, or hosting simple files as an FTP or SMB share on the network.

Outside of a larger "feature" mini-server NAS's such as a synology, they just dont have the processing power to run a program such as emby server, and transcode files to smaller bitrate, or different format when needed.

• Like 1

Yeah, it depends on what you really mean by "NAS".  As Trusselo points out, a true NAS won't give you any real processing power but that term is pretty much mis-used by the general public to mean any dedicated file serving machine and, some of those, can run Emby depending on how much transcoding you need to do.

The mis-use of the NAS term is becoming almost as bad as "Modem".  Modems haven't really existed in quite a long time but everyone still things they have one in their house ;).  Not picking on you - it is just one of those general use things...

AdrianW

Well, even Synology and Qnap use the name NAS and they have some reasonably powerful boxes.

Well, even Synology and Qnap use the name NAS and they have some reasonably powerful boxes.

Correct.  The companies are the worst offenders.  Just like your cable company that rents you a "modem" every month.

Betelgeuse

There are "add-ons" for media servers like Plex for both Synology and Western Digital. It would be very nice to be able to run the Emby server on a NAS, but it might not be possible due to the power of the NAS'es as Trusselo said.

I was thinking about the WD EX 4100 that in fact has a quad processor and 2GB of RAM.

I am now running a Buffalo NAS TS-XEL/R5 with 4 disks in RAID5 witch is pretty good but boring. And the original Seagate disks was a disaster. Replacing one by one with WD RED disks.

Edited by Betelgeuse

There are "add-ons" for media servers like Plex for both Synology and Western Digital. It would be very nice to be able to run the Emby server on a NAS, but it might not be possible due to the power of the NAS'es as Trusselo said.

Have you looked here?

Betelgeuse

Have you looked here?

Sorry, can't find a subject related to Western Digital NAS'es. What I have found out the WD NAS'es are at the moment "the state of the art". Besides they have the only disks I trust.

Edited by Betelgeuse

Sorry, can't find a subject related to Western Digital NAS'es. What I have found out the WD NAS'es are at the moment "the state of the art". Besides they have the only disks I trust.

Okay, well your original question also included Synology.

trusselo

Yeah, it depends on what you really mean by "NAS".  As Trusselo points out, a true NAS won't give you any real processing power but that term is pretty much mis-used by the general public to mean any dedicated file serving machine and, some of those, can run Emby depending on how much transcoding you need to do.

The mis-use of the NAS term is becoming almost as bad as "Modem".  Modems haven't really existed in quite a long time but everyone still things they have one in their house ;).  Not picking on you - it is just one of those general use things...

well depends on your ISP, but very true. and even modems are rarely only modems.

I work for an ISP now as a repair tech.

We work on a telephone based VDSL2+ internet with IPTV.

Our "modem", is a modem, and a router, 5 port switch, and wireless access point, plus IPTV router over cat5 through the network switch AND/OR through HPNA coax cable.

but its just a "modem"

just like these NAS's

some of the 3-rd party providers that the CRTC forces us to share our DSL ports and lines with, do use basic single port modems, supply your own router and wifi.

Edited by trusselo

AdrianW

Qnap and Synology are probably the best known and most popular NAS's. They don't come with drives, you can install WD Reds if you want (I have WD Reds in my Qnap).

Deathsquirrel

Were someone to make a server for the WD bioxes, they don't have remotely enough power for transcoding.  Your client options are going to be very limited or you're going to need to encode very limited audio and video options that are widely supported by client devices.

well depends on your ISP, but very true. and even modems are rarely only modems.

I work for an ISP now as a repair tech.

We work on a telephone based VDSL2+ internet with IPTV.

Our "modem", is a modem, and a router, 5 port switch, and wireless access point, plus IPTV router over cat5 through the network switch AND/OR through HPNA coax cable.

but its just a "modem"

just like these NAS's

some of the 3-rd party providers that the CRTC forces us to share our DSL ports and lines with, do use basic single port modems, supply your own router and wifi.

LOL - I knew someone out there would still actually be on analog technology somewhere in the chain and take issue with my statement :).

• 2 years later...