Windows 10 closer to no codec packs?

yardameus

yardameus

I do not follow all the inner aspects of OS format compatibility, but I was just wondering if Win10 is any closer to eliminating the use of external codecs (lav etc...)  I just upgraded one computer and still have LAV installed, but I was just curious if those in the know have any thoughts on this.

trusselo

from what i have read, it handles all major formats...

my system too is an upgrade machine... for now.

this will be something i will be paying attention to after a fresh install.

In my system I am big on surround sound, dolby and DTS whenever possible.

Hopefully it will not need anything external. Simple "plays".

• Like 1

Deihmos

On Windows 10 what software are you using that will require lav? There is no WMC. If you install Emby Theater it will install lav. Without the codecs my hdhomerun view app does not display anything which means there is no mpeg decoder. 

Windows 10 does not support DTS tracks either

Edited by Deihmos

yardameus

Since I upgraded from Win 7 I already had LAV installed and Emby Theater.  That's why I was curious as to what codecs were required.  From what I had read, not many would be needed, especially for anything I use. (MKV, h264, h265, etc...)  I was just wondering in case I got a new computer with a fresh Win 10 install etc...

Sparrowlogins

I believe that mkv playback is supported natively in Windows 10, as was mpeg and avi before it. I am unsure about how easy it is to tweak settings or even if it's possible.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/watching-movies-on-windows-10-just-got-a-whole-lot-easier-1271837

http://www.multipelife.com/windows-10-supported-video-audio-formats.html

Deihmos

Mkv is native with ac3 or aac. DTS audio or any other audio format will not play. There is no mpeg decoder. I don't know about avi as that container has been dead for years.

yardameus

That's a good point.  I guess it's still a hold over mentality from Win 7.  That and I usually double check my videos and subtitles in Windows Media Player to make sure things sync up.  

Why does it matter?  All the decent players don't need Windows codecs anyway.

It matters to those of us who have to actually write software for video playback :).  Means we can support more formats without having to use those other players.

• Like 2

xnappo

Using the Windows codec installs is a bad idea for any software project.  That is why all the most successful players don't depend on them.

Edited by xnappo