Coming back from XBMC

aquatarkus

aquatarkus

Hi there

I used to use MediaBrowser v2 when I was running Win7 but when upgraded HTPC and all other pc's laptops to Win8 / 8.1 went with XBMC.

Now that MBT seems to finally be here (beta I know) I want to come back to Media Browser also had enough of constant issues with XBMC as well.

I know I need MediaBrowser 3 server, this I'll install on my HP microserver running WHS2011 (any tips for this install)

I'll then install MBT on the HTPC, wife's laptop, daughters laptop and main pc. (or should I just install MBT on HTPC and the Win8 app on the others?)

I use Media Centre Master for meta data, backdrops etc for movies and TV series box sets. is it still ok to use this as I still think its the best unless you say different

I was a supporter of MB2 so will pay some more to become a supporter of MB3.

Just wondering on a few  other things

what plug ins and themes for MB3 server and MBT should I install? 

Will MBT be able to play back my Blu-ray MKV rips with DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio (a big requirement)

What about 3d playback any issues there?

Many thanks for reading

Regards

Aquatarkus

Logos302

Well unless I missed it (which is totaly possible) the Windows8App isn't out yet. so MBT,Web or MBC( if you have MEdia Center) are your only options at the moment (there are other clients for other OS as well).  I could be wrong about WHS2011 but I thought there was a problem with running the server on it (Might have been only V1 that the problem exists for).  MBS has very nice metadata gather so unless you use MCM for more than just metadata MBS will work just fine if not better.  MBT only has one theme at the moment (the one that it comes with so you're stuck there).  The server as far as I can tell doesn't really have themes.  MBT should really be able to play anything once it finished might need a codec to be installed to support it or External player.  Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

The server should be fine on WHS 2011.

However, I'm not sure MBT is mature enough for you to be putting it on the wife and daughter's systems...

gthrift

MBS is fine on WHS2011, I'm running it on my HP Microserver w/ WHS2011.

MBT is still needs to mature before you try running it full time for your family.  It has a lot of promise but there is still a lot of functionality to come.  If you still have WMC, then use MBC.  

As for add-ins.  There are some great ones for both the server and MBC.

For server I have:  CoverArt, Genre Cleaner, MB Intros, Movie Theme Videos, TV Theme Songs, Rotten Tomatoes and Trakt.

For MBC I have:  ThemeVideo Backdrops and use the Chocolate theme.  

CoverArt, Movie Theme Videos, TV Theme Songs and ThemVieo Backdrops make for a great experience in MBC along with the Chocolate plugin.