Windows 10 app inoperable

AmericanCrisis

scope99

Thanks Vicpa.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Turns out you are dead right, after some more checking it was just the initial video that was transcoding AC3 (properties below). All of the others with AC3 are playing back direct.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the app to support DTS in the future so that direct streaming for this can also happen?

The movie that was AC3 but transcoding has the following properties, can anyone see why it would transcode? Also it doesn't seem like just an audio conversion like the others as the server is doing a lot of work (gauged by the sound of the radiator's fans)?

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x808
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97599
Bitrate10541 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
CABACYes
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate625 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes

AmericanCrisis

Thanks Vicpa.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Turns out you are dead right, after some more checking it was just the initial video that was transcoding AC3 (properties below). All of the others with AC3 are playing back direct.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the app to support DTS in the future so that direct streaming for this can also happen?

The movie that was AC3 but transcoding has the following properties, can anyone see why it would transcode? Also it doesn't seem like just an audio conversion like the others as the server is doing a lot of work (gauged by the sound of the radiator's fans)?

Video
CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x808

Aspect ratio2.40:1

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97599

Bitrate10541 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames5

CABACYes

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate625 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Maybe because this is Dolby Digital EX (6 channels).  Are the ones that don't transcode 6 channels or 5?

• Like 1

mjktg99

@scope99  @mjktg99 

This may help.  I had the same error and 7 sent me this link which fixed the problem for me.  I just needed to do the Win7DSFilterTweaker part.  I think mine got screwed up after loading Shark codecs which disabled the MS video decoder.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/4502-how-to-fix-cant-play-videos-on-app-or-modern-ie/

Everything was correct in my settings...  must be something else

scope99

Maybe because this is Dolby Digital EX (6 channels).  Are the ones that don't transcode 6 channels or 5?

All my others don't transcode, I tried another 6 channel AC3 file which played direct. It is only this one file (which unfortunately was the first one I chose to test!). I don't think it is worth continuing to worry about. The app works as advertised and the transcoding is not heavy on the server for the DTS files so I am happy. Thanks for your help.

Skywolf

Having the same problem since 2 days (or so). Emby starts, then after 1 or two seconds minimizes to the taskbar and that's it. When I click on it in the taskbar it enlarges again just to collapse again to the taskbar after 1 second.

I suspect it came after the update of the app.

I have the same problem on all of my clients (2 HTPCs on Windows 8.1, Laptop on Windows 8.1, Tablet on Windows 8.1).

The two odd things are:

1. It also happens on a Windows 8.1 HTPC that had never seen an installation before (hence no previous version).

2. After Upgrading my tablet to Windows 10 the problem disappeared and emby client is so far running fine.

Edited by Skywolf

wrapmaster4500

Firstly I'd like to say how much I have enjoyed your app so far, but unfortunately  I too am having the same issue as described above.

W8.1 on Server Version 3.0.5675.1

I uninstalled an reinstalled the app, but it still only flashes up for a second or two, then minimizes

I don't particularly want to upgrade this machine to W10 to resolve it.

So I'm still having issues with the Windows 10 app. I haven't been able to use it on either of my computers. 

The store is set for auto updating and I checked to see if there were any downloads ready to be updated, but nothing shows, so I'm going to guess that all of my apps are updated. However, when I open the app, I get the signin for emby connect (which I skip), go into manual, and my server is listed. However, when trying to connect, it just spins and stops. My server is on the same machine and I even moved some of my movies to my desktop so i wouldn't need to keep my external drive plugged in.

I have no issues watching anything from the web version (other than actual DVDs with menus) and I can Chromecast with no issue. I can watch movies in the native TV/Movies app and WMP (though casting to Chromecast doesn't work). I've even tried signing in with Emby Connect, but all it does it kick me to the manual configuration, which just takes me back to where I was before, where it shows the server but won't let me connect.

I have the latest version of the server - 3.0.5675.1 - and I'm not outside of my network (though I've never been able to get the app to work outside of my home network, which kinda makes it useless whenever I'm not at home).

Is this a Windows 10 issue or an app issue??

EDIT - To add to the above, I just tried to signup for Emby Connect and again, it takes to me to register for the forum, which I'm already registered. I've had this problem multiple times, especially when it comes to finding out what my username and password are. I'm logged in from Twitter and I've even tried that, with no success.

I guess I just don't understand why trying to get a UN/PW is so complicated here. Thankfully I fixed my reformatting/reinstall issues with the server backup plugin, but it's things like this like make me wonder why there isn't an easier way to create, edit, and retrieve my user info.

Also, why isn't there a connect with Twitter option on the app? especially for those of us who use Twitter as our signin??

Edited by Gina66

Hi,

sorry if I am asking a basic question. Have you enabled the loopback exception. You need to if the server is running on the same machine. See the wiki here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/4360-howto-runnning-server-and-app-on-the-same-machine/

Actually, I did notice that my IP was 127.0.0.1 and was wondering about that (cause I've never paid any attention to it before, as it's always worked with WMC and Windows 7). I'll check out the link.

Quick question (which may be answered in that thread) - does this only work on the computer running the server and the app? IE, would this allow for the app on my laptop to finally work outside of my house?

EDIT - Just downloaded the loopback app and that seems to have fixed it. Now, when I click on servers, it shows my users (which are all me) and I was able to log into my desktop! I'm going to test it on my laptop, but just in case, would I need to the same thing on my laptop - IE, download this .exe, check emby, and then get access? What about outside of my house? I've run into issues where no matter the remote IP, I can not connect to the server when I'm away (and I've been able to remote in to my desktop, so I know it was on and the server running)

But for this particular issue, I think it's mostly good! :D

Edited by Gina66

Vidman

The Loop back fix is only for win 8.1/10 apps to loop back to the same machine so it will not affect the apps on any other device on your network. To connect to your server out side of your home LAN to need to set your router to forward port 8096 to the ip address of your server machine

Edited by Vidman