Windows 10 and edge, Internet explorer

djlf

I have done clean install of windows 10 and rebuilt everything but things aren't running as smooth as it used to on windows 7. Web client is slow, scan media library takes forever, installing plugins strangely results in been presented with an error page after clicking on restart ( even though plugins are still installed). Some plugins don't seem to be working. The issue that concerns me most is the library scan and it seems the server isn't reading XML and nfo files that are stored in the media folders. Is anyone else experiencing this stuff??

Will post logs when I have time

We have a lot of folks running on Windows 10 without issue so this probably comes down to some sort of configuration.

Managed to get some issues ironed out but just wondering are there any tips on getting my hard drives to scan faster within windows 10 ?? 

I'm piggybacking here, but shouldn't Edge support HLS with H264/AC3 (and even H265) without transcoding?

I think so, yes, but nothing is stored as HLS (Http Live Stream) so it will always be transcoded into that on the server...

trusselo

A mixture of internal and external with usb 2 and 3

make sure you have the proper usb 2 and usb 3 drivers installed. 

USB2 drives will always scan slow. max data transfer speed is 30 mB/s. and can be considerably slower when reading sequential small files (xml jpg).

USB3 standard is 300mB/s so it can theoretically reach the drive speed limit of the drive inside, with comparable speed to an internal drive. which can easily be anywhere from 70-120mB/s or more upwards of 170mB/s.... before going to SSD speeds.

once again assuming you have the best compatible USB drivers installed.

I would avoid using a USB2 external drive for media storage. especially if there are multiple concurrent users.

Try detaching the USB2 drives and see if the scan speeds up.

or use CrystalDIskInfo drive utility to see if all drives are healthy

Edited by trusselo

• 2 months later...

I think so, yes, but nothing is stored as HLS (Http Live Stream) so it will always be transcoded into that on the server...

(I'm late here, sorry for the bump)

This means then that for the Chromecast it should also transcode every H264/AC3 file, whereas it doesn't (provided you have the AC3 passthrough ticked) and playback is perfect on that.

So Edge should be able to direct play every H264/AC3 file without transcoding!