Cant Connect To Server From Other Pc Using MB- theatre

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

i have installed mediabrowser server and theatre on my main HTPC, it works fine, i set up MB theatre on my laptop and when it asks for ip address and port, it cant connect to the server, it just says error cant connect.

Both machines have win7 x64, eset smart security, windows firewall is disabled by eset. I run portqueryui and it cannot connect.

Any ideas guys?

to get my ip address i typed in google, whats my ip address and copied it down. 

Does it come up with the same IP that's shown at the bottom of the main Dashboard page? In the "Server Bookmark" section... ??

The default port is 8096, as shown on that same page.

Edited by pagali

That really isn't the IP address you should be entering. When you do that your getting your external IP address (basically your internet IP). What we need is your internal network IP for MBT. It will be the IP address of your HTPC. You can find that IP within your router's configuration panel.

mystic.bertie

Does it come up with the same IP that's shown at the bottom of the main Dashboard page? In the "Server Bookmark" section... ??

The default port is 8096, as shown on that same page.

Hi in the server bookmark section all it says is, port info is correct. 

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser

That really isn't the IP address you should be entering. When you do that your getting your external IP address (basically your internet IP). What we need is your internal network IP for MBT. It will be the IP address of your HTPC. You can find that IP within your router's configuration panel.

Hi thanks, i think your right, in my routers config panel the 'broadband' ip address was the same as the one i got using google. I used the 'LAN' ip address 192.168.0.1 and this did not work either, using port 9096, i also disabled the firewall on each pc.

AxelAxel3

On your server computer, go to the start menu and type "cmd" (without the quotes) then press enter.

A black screen will open up. then type:

ipconfig

and press enter. After you do that, you will see a load of information. Since you said your router is at 192.168.x.x, then you are looking for a number similar to that.  so look closer to the top of that long list, and you will see "IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x"

You are needing to enter that into your server's address.

mystic.bertie

On your server computer, go to the start menu and type "cmd" (without the quotes) then press enter.

A black screen will open up. then type:

ipconfig

and press enter. After you do that, you will see a load of information. Since you said your router is at 192.168.x.x, then you are looking for a number similar to that.  so look closer to the top of that long list, and you will see "IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x"

You are needing to enter that into your server's address.

YIPEE many thanks this worked no problem. You would think this info would be available in the set up guide or even the ip address shown on the server config page. I consider myself savvy with pcs but this hand me stumped, maybe im not that savvy ha ha

many thanks mate worked a treat.

mystic.bertie

ip address isn't needed internally.

http://mycomputername:8096/mediabrowser

i think i tried that and it never worked, maybe i typed it wrong who knows. 

My problem now is i cant stream any movies from my main htpc, i have wireless N and the signal strength seems to be fine n each pc but when i try and play anything i just get a black screen. Am i able to test my network to see if its fast enough for streaming movies ?

mystic.bertie

for anyone else looking for the i.p address, open mb theatre on your manin pc and go to the settings and network section, the i.p address you need is displayed there.