Missing assemly when installing MB Server

cylon
Go to solution Solved by cylon,

I am getting the following error when attempting to install MB Server on Windows 8.1:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.34003
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.34003 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
	dfshim.dll 			: 6.3.9600.16384 (winblue_rtm.130821-1623)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application
						Server		: cloudflare-nginx
	Application url			: http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/server/Application%20Files/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer_3_0_1_19/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe.manifest
						Server		: cloudflare-nginx

IDENTITIES
	Deployment Identity		: MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application, Version=3.0.1.19, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4b9d5f30d771bc4d, processorArchitecture=x86
	Application Identity		: MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.exe, Version=3.0.1.19, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4b9d5f30d771bc4d, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
	* Online only application.

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [24-11-13 6:23:16 PM] : Activation of http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application has started.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:20 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:20 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:20 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:23 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:23 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:36 PM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:37 PM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [24-11-13 6:23:37 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
		- The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionState.Validate()
			at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.CollectCrossGroupApplications(Uri codebaseUri, DefinitionIdentity deploymentIdentity, Boolean& identityGroupFound, Boolean& locationGroupFound, String& identityGroupProductName)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CommitApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, CommitApplicationParams commitParams)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He can't find the System.Deployment assembly on your system.

OS? Win 8.1 ?

Is the system up to date with the latest updates?

Yes, all updates are installed except for two optional ones - AMD Driver, and Bing Bar.

Is there something in your eventviewer?

• Solution

Nothing in the event viewer, spent some time setting everything up and the 8.1 upgrade seems very flaky. My first upgrade in my 20 plus years in IT and I have confirmed why they should be avoided at all cost.

I can't start Computer Management by right-clicking My Computer (only starts from the Charms Bar) and I can't run Notepad as an administrator from the Charms Bar (only by browsing to it in Explorer and right-clicking). Now I am trying to work out how I legitimately get an 8.1 ISO to do a clean install, none of the keys I have are working with the download tool.

Update: Rebuild fixed everything

My legitimate Windows 8 key did not work however. This seems to be a common issue. I had to edit the ISO and set it to skip the key check. Create a ei.cfg file at the root of the Sources folder with this content:

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Then you can activate Windows after the installation is complete

Edited by cylon