40+ Second Load Time

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by moviefan,

moviefan

When I start MB3 Classic it takes about 40 seconds or longer to bring up the EHS.  ebr requested me to start a new topic with logs for this issue when discussing in another thread.  

Below are MBC logs.  Let me know if any additional info is needed.

Edited by moviefan

A few notes:

1 - You are not on the latest version of MBC.  You should upgrade.

2 - You are using a very complex theme that was not designed for MB3 so you should do baseline testing with the default theme

3 - Your machine appears to be running very slowly.  There are 3-5 seconds between operations that take 1/10th of a second or less on my machine.  

What is the exact environment?  Processor, memory, etc.  Are you running the server and MBC on the same machine?

moviefan

A few notes:

1 - You are not on the latest version of MBC.  You should upgrade.

2 - You are using a very complex theme that was not designed for MB3 so you should do baseline testing with the default theme

3 - Your machine appears to be running very slowly.  There are 3-5 seconds between operations that take 1/10th of a second or less on my machine.  

What is the exact environment?  Processor, memory, etc.  Are you running the server and MBC on the same machine?

1.  Thought I had it set to autoupdate but I guess not.  Have updated and still experience the same issue.  Here is a new log.  <REDACTED>

2.  I disabled the theme before creating that first log file.  However, I did notce that it says Neo in that log.  I am not sure how to explain it.  I was testing with Neo before creating that log; but it had been completely uninstalled prior to running the test.  In any event, the log in this post shows that I am using the default theme which is the case as all MBC plugins have been removed from my system.

3.  I am not sure how to explain this.  System has good specs.

The client in question is a custom built HTPC.  I recently upgraded the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to an ASUS H87i-Plus, Intel Core i5 4440s Haswell processor, and 8GB RAM.  It also has a 64 GB SSD. Running Windows 7 Pro x64.

It plays HD video fine.  Just seems to have an issue starting the actual program.  The server is running on a VM elsewhere on the network and the storage for videos is on a Synology RS10613xs.  Everything is connected via a Cisco 3560X Gigabit switch.

Edited by moviefan

Please find the server log file that matches up with that MBC log.  I want to see if it is actually the server that is running so slow.  The VM may be the issue...

moviefan

I just re-did a new test to get clean logs.

EDIT: See post below.

Server Info:

Hardware is a Cisco UCS C210 Server with two 6-core Intel Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz CPUs, 72GB of RAM, sixteen 10K 287GB HDDs in a RAID6 configuration on a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9261 controller.

On this I have ESX 5.5 installed with a VM of Win 2012 R2 running Media Browser Server.  Right now I have six vCPUs and 8GB of RAM dedicated to this VM.

The host is connected to a Cisco 3560X Gigabit switch with 6 links in a Port Channel.  

My NAS where the files are located is a Synology RS10613xs with ten 4TB 7200 RPM HDDs and two 240GB SSDs for read cache.  It is connected via four Gigabit links to the same switch. 

Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by moviefan

Redshirt

ebr isn't going to be able to do much with that server log... sorry. 

Can you do your test a third time, but beforehand go to the servers web dashboard and enable debug logging in the advanced tab. Then restart the server. After you restart and run the test again, the server logs will have a lot more usable info.

moviefan

Okay that first test didn't seem to make much sense because the server log had almost nothing in it.  I also noticed a new server update just came out.  So I installed the server update, ensured advanced logging was enabled again, rebooted the server, and did the test one more time.  This time I got LOTS of logs on the server.

MBC: <REDACTED>

MBS: Attached

Edited by moviefan

moviefan

I see this over and over again in the log:

Error, App, Error in image enhancer: CoverArtPersonEnhancer
Could not load type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Audio.Artist' from assembly 'MediaBrowser.Controller, Version=3.0.5076.20159, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
System.TypeLoadException

I see this over and over again in the log:

Error, App, Error in image enhancer: CoverArtPersonEnhancer
Could not load type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Audio.Artist' from assembly 'MediaBrowser.Controller, Version=3.0.5076.20159, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
System.TypeLoadException

You need to upgrade CoverArt.  

Okay, I see a couple of things in the logs.

1 - What is your library setup?  It looks like we are retrieving the same thing over and over again.  Do you have tons of shortcut collections set up?

2 - It is taking the server sometimes 10 or 11 seconds to fulfill the requests so that, along with us doing it multiple times is why it is taking so long for MBC to start.

moviefan

Okay, I see a couple of things in the logs.

1 - What is your library setup?  It looks like we are retrieving the same thing over and over again.  Do you have tons of shortcut collections set up?

2 - It is taking the server sometimes 10 or 11 seconds to fulfill the requests so that, along with us doing it multiple times is why it is taking so long for MBC to start.

1.  My library setup is not that complex...

52936d56b0a96_mb.png

These are all the collections that I have.  Each of them points to one particular directory on my Synology NAS.  The Movie Archive folder contains some boxset collection nested folders.  Not sure what you mean by shortcut collections?  The rest of the collections are pretty straightforward one folder per movie setups except for TV which is in standard TV format.

I do have a lot of video titles so I would not be surprised that it takes longer than a normal system to start.  Just 40+ seconds seems excessive.  I wonder why its iterating those tasks multiple times.

I did upgrade CoverArt.  I guess I needed to have it setup to Beta releases.

xnappo

Looks similar to the issue I posted in the developer section.

In the web interface, if you go to one of your large collections and set it to retrieve 500 items is it also slow?

I know it sounds strange - but if you take your NAS offline does it speed up?  You should still be able to browse the collection with it offline.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

moviefan

Looks similar to the issue I posted in the developer section.

In the web interface, if you go to one of your large collections and set it to retrieve 500 items is it also slow?

I know it sounds strange - but if you take your NAS offline does it speed up?  You should still be able to browse the collection with it offline.

xnappo

In the web interface if I set it to retrieve 500 items it does so rather quickly.  Maybe a second or two before it shows.

I can turn the NAS off and try MBC to see if that speeds the load time up if you think that is worth doing?

moviefan

How many total items are we talking about?

Right now it shows 2048 movies and 74 shows for those two main categories.

xnappo

In the web interface if I set it to retrieve 500 items it does so rather quickly.  Maybe a second or two before it shows.

I can turn the NAS off and try MBC to see if that speeds the load time up if you think that is worth doing?

I think so... It will isolate between the server/database and the file system.

xnappo

moviefan

I was just about to go do this test and I figured hey why not try it out on my desktop first.

On my desktop computer, MBC loads before even the first dot can move across the screen.

Can you tell me what is the difference between this log and the previous one?  If you need me to redo the HTPC one now that coverart has been upgraded for a better comparison let me know.  Thanks.

MBC on Desktop:  <REDACTED>

MBS for Desktop debug:  <REDACTED>

Edited by moviefan

Did it load with exactly the same information?  Did you log on using the same user profile?

That log is not retrieving the same items over and over again.

moviefan

It loaded with all the same information as far as I know.  I am just going to uninstall MBC, delete all associated user data, reinstall, and see if that helps.

moviefan

Well, that did it.  After reinstalling MBC (And deleting the AppData folders), I rebooted the computer and the loading screen didn't even show.  It went immediately to EHS.

Thanks for your time in analyzing the logs.  I'll send a donation over for your efforts.   ;)

moviefan

Well, that did fix the issue.  But as I started setting things back up the way they were I recreated the problem once more.  I am going to go slowly now and see if I can figure out which setting triggers the issue.

Edited by moviefan

• Solution
moviefan

"Hide Empty Folders"  This was the culprit setting.  With this setting unchecked my load screen lasts under one second.

I'm running into this a lot with the "Latest Additions"

No matter the theme, it now renders VERY slowly until it has it sorted out.  I had thought this was connected to ROC/etc. but apparently not, I also get this some in Chocolate (though not as bad)

But the stall at the beginning, the moment I select LATEST is nuts.

I have my collections broken out into Genres already, 149 Shows, 8139 Episodes..

918 Movies

It also does it with Music/Music Videos (stored on a different NAS device)

"Hide Empty Folders"  This was the culprit setting.  With this setting unchecked my load screen lasts under one second.

Very Interesting...