Subtitle problem for accented characters

christophe.ferrandon

Emby server is the latest beta, and running on Linux (Ubuntu Server 16.04). Client Windows 10 Pro, Chrome latest.

Your subtitles are correct (well, almost, since the encoding is not perfect, as the long accented characters are not proper, but it is quite commom). If I could get the way you have, that would be fine. It should be "élő" and "előtt" to be completely correct.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Compact using Tapatalk

Yea we're using the .net encoding api. Is it possible that it doesn't understand the "windows-1250" character set because something is not installed on the machine? Maybe there is just a dependency that is missing.

What locale is the linux machine set to? Is emby reading them based on locale of machine, or encoding of the subtitle?

Windows-1250 is cp1250 on *nix. So you just alias one to the other. When it doesnt match anything, the encoding will fall back to locale. This might be the issue.

Edited by speechles

When I use windows-1252, the result looks the same so i will make that change for the next release and you should be good to go.

anderbytes

When I use windows-1252, the result looks the same so i will make that change for the next release and you should be good to go.

Will this resolve the issues with Latin accents, too?

anderbytes

Ok.

I asked about in which os you did your tests, in the other topic.

Have you seen those correct latin chars with a Linux Debian server ? Or Windows?

Good day @@Luke

Internal subtitle are ok:

57ca1ebb75649_20160903_34720.jpg

The problem with external subtitle:

57ca1ee620705_20160903_33625.jpg

57ca1f01c594b_20160903_35002.jpg

I tried many titles for testing, all external subtitles (srt) have the above issue.

Test done on the web client on win 10 as client, the emby server on Synology (latest beta build):

57ca1ffdea74f_20160903_35530.jpg

57ca20111b352_20160903_35634.jpg

Let me know if you want the test done on another client, like ET.

My best

• 2 weeks later...

Just for information, I am using a Freenas jail for emby server and this problem is also present there with every pt-pt subtitles that are not modified with notepad++

+1 for external subtitles in ANSI implementation.

Also getting ???? on accented characters while streaming (direct play is ok, of course). 5k and 500 tv shows with subtitles...wont recode them :P

System: Synology 1813+ (latest DSM)

EMBY: Community package