Things I'd like to see

Gernash

Gernash

General usage on all platforms.

• Why aren't all my devices that are connected to Emby server not listed in SELECT PLAYER as they use to be so I "can" use the tablet in say android tv then when I have found something I click Emby WNC and it starts playing it. Used to be an amazing feature before.... 64bit WMC shinaggins. 

Emby server for windows

• Transcoding Tab (seeing as you want to transcode the world)
  • access to the ffmpeg switches for generating the streams.
  • Profiles for different devices that can be edited.
  • Embedded Player-Why transcode locally, just why. Wikki - How to setup codec 64bit

Emby Theater 

• More development aim to replace WMC for Windows 10 with tablet to PC theater interface.
  • Design More around 10' interface (why the tiny writing on 50"+ tv screen)
  • Design for more remote control (access learn/program button mode) Better navigation.
  • Let another App be for windows RT phone/tablet. Be all that you can be as a 10 foot THEATER experience.
  • Less explodie.

Android TV

• What is this product for? I assume it's for tablets not for 50" TV's try navigating without touch interface arrrg.
  • Bring Android TV to Windows RT,phone and tablets to be the interface to Emby theater So Emby theater can be a THEATER experience.

Imaginary product that does not exist.

• Tablet/Pone direct touch interface. There are many android remotes out there, they suck. get a 60+ year old to be your R&D tester or a non Tech-savy wife.

TV Plugins.

• Why the saturation of information in the guide with all the plugins.
  • Why the tiny buttons and 20 rows per page.(have a look at WMC for a clean interface that's legible from a couch.)
  • Why so many tabs and clicks to watch TV? can't we just see the guide then watch TV? if more information is wanted people can just drill down menus. Ask anybody's non Tech-savy wife to use it without instruction and see how hard you get slapped in the back of the head

In general I use WMC for the clean interface (annoyed I can't change it without hacking) and WMCServer for TV to client device. With the latest evolution of the Embedded Player use SPV Player as external player or Hacked WMC player (sharky codec).

The reason for not using the embedded player is Transcoding zomg the transcoding, yes it cool but OMG stop it, just stop.

22/07/2015

Live TV

• Can't Surf (switch between channels while watching.)
  • PIP Mode?
  • Too many Submenus Lazy people like me want to just watch tv.

DLNA Menu

• Add/Remove system profiles
  • Import/Export XML of profile so community can share device profiles.
  • Basic new/Unknown device import. Something like magpie.jar select your device then it inputs the basic parameters. If you could search http://www.dlna.org/products/ and add DLNA certificate to device profile would be Kewl.
Edited by Gernash

what embedded player?

also, based on the title of android tv, why would you assume it's for a tablet?

Gernash

Embedded html 5 player (I assume. Looks like the one on the web interface.) streams/transcodes (no warning even if box is checked in settings. not native decode so High cpu usage and not clean playback.

Based on the title I got excited and thought it was for Android TV as well. Have you use it on a 40+" tv with a remote? then try it on a tablet. then tell me what you think it was developed for/around.

Have you done your research? Because if you had then you would see that html5 has very limited codec support. We only transcode when we need to. Sorry to snap back but a thread like this is only going to spread misinformation, and that's exactly what that is.

The Android TV app is built with google's leanback interface designed for 10ft tv usage. It follows Google's guidelines for TV apps. I think that's really enough said. It is built for a tv, and yes I have attempted to use it both ways, and I think it's a great tv app.

also, i'm not sure what you mean about "no warning, even if checked in settings", but if you disable a user's access to transcoding, they get a warning. works just fine.

55adb3fbbce54_Untitled.png

Now having said all of that, you make some very good points about Live TV and I can see several areas where we can reduce the number of clicks to get playback started.

Gernash

I agree about the miss information. But in this case miss understanding.

(also your response to forums is amazing thanks for being so active.)

This is what I mean.

55adb4f611514_21072015125434PM.jpg

When you play from WMC with a fresh reload you get a grainy playback and can't choose direct/HW playback. Using external player to resolve issue.(I'd like to use the pretty player though)

Android tv - issue with tv is when playing movie then stoping it, then trying to go back to menu is annoying with a remote, some of the information appears below the edge of the viewable page (tested on 3 android at devices via HDMI to TV, assuming they are non standard in some way) works fine on tablet. Playback interface does not allow for changing the speed of the stream

(but these are specific issues "I'm having" and I'd post on the specific forums if I was chasing a resolution)

My Original post want not meant to be an attack on the Emby product range, but as per the title Things I'd like to see. If you want some of the wording changed to resolve any misunderstanding then I'd be happy to change the post.

(but I'm still a firm believer in getting away from transcoding where possible.)

Gernash

Live TV - you cant channel surf like on a TV as well. You know click channel up Channel down to drive people insane till you find something.

Edited by Gernash

I agree about the miss information. But in this case miss understanding.

(also your response to forums is amazing thanks for being so active.)

This is what I mean.

55adb4f611514_21072015125434PM.jpg

When you play from WMC with a fresh reload you get a grainy playback and can't choose direct/HW playback. Using external player to resolve issue.(I'd like to use the pretty player though)

Android tv - issue with tv is when playing movie then stoping it, then trying to go back to menu is annoying with a remote, some of the information appears below the edge of the viewable page (tested on 3 android at devices via HDMI to TV, assuming they are non standard in some way) works fine on tablet. Playback interface does not allow for changing the speed of the stream

(but these are specific issues "I'm having" and I'd post on the specific forums if I was chasing a resolution)

My Original post want not meant to be an attack on the Emby product range, but as per the title Things I'd like to see. If you want some of the wording changed to resolve any misunderstanding then I'd be happy to change the post.

(but I'm still a firm believer in getting away from transcoding where possible.)

Actually with WMC, it always tries to access the file path directly, and only transcodes if it can't. That's by default. Make sure your content is shared over the LAN, then check the path substitution section on the server so that paths can be formatted in a way that the client windows box will understand.

As far as android tv goes, the reality is we have a lot of metadata and we can't fit it all on one screen. Emby Theater does the same thing, it just does sideways instead of horizontal.

And I'm onboard with avoiding transcoding. each client is doing what it can.

Gernash

Only transcodes if it can't?  do you mean access the UNC path or decode the file? If it decoding then what file format/codecs does the emby player support?

Emby for WMC relies on system codecs so it depends on what is installed on your machine. But if it has direct access to the media path it will bypass the server and play it directly over the network.

Gernash

Is the "feature" of being able to select other devices on the network to play to coming back? or is that something that has evolved and I'm not seeing/configuring it correctly? 

reluctantflux

I can remote control all my devices from web, mobile, and tablet. Sounds like you have a localized issue.

As for unnecessary transcoding, make sure you have permissions set correctly. Just allowing everyone full access sometimes doesn't work, too, so check that as well.

I have high hopes for emby for Android TV. I do think the grid needs 7-9 channels showing instead of 4.

Edited by reluctantflux

Gernash

Logging in and out a couple of times client appears in Emby Devices. Have to Play to device stop and play again so controls work pause play and remote glitching. This seems to only be the case with WMC Client on 64bit not occurring on 32bit. So yea, just never noticed it was still there for over a year, assumed it was removed. (If I reboot the server on the 64 bit machine I have to do the same login/logout. not with 32 bit or Synology) To and from phone ap to Browser works fine as well. (never used that function)

Oh Creating DLNA How to write up? Device profile not found. e.g. ONKYO TX-NR609 can stream audio not video apparently. how to generate a profile to recognize device and reflect it's abilities. I see a few people asking how to do it for different devices in DLNA forum. I spent an a couple of hrs digging around can interrigate my device but cant get it to Detect the profile. (using intel device spy)

Edited by Gernash