Unset CBB

MndWrp

MndWrp

Hello all Embers! (..is that what we're called ? geez...)

The "Unset" library category seems to have less possible features to it than regular library sections. in theater for instance it looks pretty bad compared to movie or tv sections.

is it a technical limitation or simply not enough love given to it ?

i see it as pretty useful myself and would use it more if it had an up-to-date feature set.

...i would even consider using it for all my media to get rid of sections and have just a bunch of media mixed a la netflix.

so what is the status of this feature ... is it slowly fading out of favor or just in need of a bit more dev time ?

thanks guys !

It's not being faded out it's just harder for us to work with so that's why it's generally limited to plain folder style views.

i see it as pretty useful myself and would use it more if it had an up-to-date feature set.

I am curious what is on your list of "up-to-date" features. Is it the general "Next Up", "Suggested" etc. that the other types have?

I personally use it to segregate my Anime Movies and Shows from the rest of my library. When we are in the mood for Anime I can find it all in one place (without having to fix Genres all the time and/or jump back and forth between video types) and when we are in the mood for more general entertainment, it is out of the way.

For this it seems to work okay. I guess I would like better control over the types - Emby does make some assumptions about what is a series vs. a movie, and not always correctly. It seems (but may have been fixed) that setting something to "Movie" in the metadata manager means the child folders not the folder itself is a movie. Same seemed to be true of TV - setting the Series folder to TV played all kinds of havoc in my anime library, sometimes making Season folders Series themselves.

Having said all that, I haven't messed with that folder since I set it up about 4-5 releases ago. I need to clean up some things so maybe I will test a few ideas to make that organization better.

MndWrp

I am curious what is on your list of "up-to-date" features. Is it the general "Next Up", "Suggested" etc. that the other types have?

Yes actually .. having these features would make it seem like a full fledged section equal to the others and not a simple folder browse

and as i mentioned in EmbyTheater it just looks odd ... but on that, let's see what the famous "rewrite" will bring.

what if ... say i want to add some star trek to my library ... the various series go in tv show and the movies go in, well .. movies.

but if i want to have them all in one big happy unified presentation, unset seemed a logical choice but it's limitations take a bit away from the experience

i know about collections for that specific case but.. (thinking aloud here) maybe what i really mean is having the possibility to blend the sections.

"under the hood" the sections could serve the purpose of sorting the content for easy identification and metadata purposes, but the end result is a nice unified presentation.

i really don't mind having tv and movies mixed honestly .. is that heresy ?  ..after all, it's all content i enjoy!

my 2 cents

i really don't mind having tv and movies mixed honestly .. is that heresy ?  ..after all, it's all content i enjoy!

I seriously doubt any of the devs/mods would scream "Heathen! Follow teh ONE true way or risk the fires of LOST MEDIA! Thou shalt consume thy media by types we define!"

As Luke pointed out, it is a lot harder to work with because the Unset type doesn't just include TV and Movies. There are also Home Videos, Music (and their Videos), Games, Books and Photos. It only makes sense to have "Next Up" for TV (and maybe collections) - so, do you make the user hide it if they don't have TV shows in the folder? Display it empty? Recursively check each path in that library for TV and try and figure out if it should display that section/tab? Do that for every variation of content?

I do like the idea of improving the UX for Unset. You may want to post this as a feature request (in that forum) along with how you would think it would work. There are a few people around that use unset/mixed and I am sure they will chime in.