Live TV - MPEG2

above1

above1

Does LIVE TV support direct MPEG2 stream?    I have a HDHR3-CC (PRIME) and using the Win 8.1 app it seems that it transcodes to H264.   Will the Live TV app natively support MPEG2 playback?  the PRIME puts out MPEG2 video.   Or does the app currently support it and I don't have a setting set correctly somewhere?

Reason I ask is because I also installed the HDHR View application, and that is streaming MPEG2 from the tuner to the end point, in my case a surface pro. The changing of channels and viewing of channels is instant.  This is because it doesn't need to transcode.

Thanks!

Vicpa

Hi @@above1

Do you want the long or short answer? :)

Mpeg2 is not natively supported in Win 8/10. Hence the transcoding that you are seeing. (short answer)

I have the same model HD as you. The View application is doing two things differently that the Win app. The transcoding is being done at the client (in your case the Surface) and using a different interface. View uses "RUI" (remote user interface) all the connection stuff you see when you start View. To be honest I don't know much about RUI, but it seems to be able change channels etc without having to close and open a different stream. It also sends the guide data that you see. .. So both are transcoding just different places. and using slightly different access method. (Long answer)

Deihmos

The view app need a codec installed on both Windows 8 and 10. If no codec is installed you will just get audio. 

Edited by Deihmos