Black screen when playing .vob files inside VIDEO_TS folder

frog23
Go to solution Solved by frog23,

Ran into my first and really only issue so far while setting up my HTPC server for the first time. Great product by the way.

Im a forum scout and still could not find the answer to my question so if theres a topic someplace please link me and disregard this thread. 

I have a mix of .mkv .avi .mp4 files on my HDD's and everything works fine, but now Im trying import all my standard dvds into my PC. I dont need to compress anything, storage is cheap. I have been pulling the Video_TS folder from a dvd (The Matrix) and simple copy and pasting it over to a folder in my library that has a folder named "The Matrix (1999)" MBC sees it in the library, but when I click play. it spins the little revolving blue circle and then goes to a black screen and sits there. All my movie folders on the HDD's are setup with UNC. I even separated the copy and pasted .vob files/ Video_TS folders from the other formats in its own UNC folder and everything connects fine.

Am I missing something basic or am I going down a dead end road?

I dont want to use shrinkers,compressors or encoders for video. I got Anydvd HD to bypass security, and it should be copy and paste after that...hopefully.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Honestly, I'm not using any third party codecs currently. I have been following the MB3 guidlines pretty closley and didnt see anything that recommended me to install more codecs. So I am just using what came with MB Classic and theater and server I guess...oops.  Is that my problem? What codec pack should I download? do you know of a thread I can read up on that would explain it better to me?

Thank again

Install LAV.  I'm surprised you got much of anything to play in WMC without some sort of codecs installed.

I do have LAV installed, Isn't that whats gets installed when I installed MB theater edition? Or you know what, was that just the LAV filters?

Yes, it is.  DVD playback, I thought, was native to WMC though.  I would have expected only those items to be playing back in MBC.

If you look at one of them in the web client edit interface, what does the "Source Type" say it is?

My apologizes, this is were you lost me.  Are you refering to the dashboard to find the source type?

Yes.

Okay, then I think the server is recognizing them properly.  Not sure why they aren't playing but it is some sort of WMC problem.

If you can post an MBC log from when you try to play one, maybe there will be a clue.

steelman1991

Do you have an AUDIO_TS folder at the same level as the VIDEO_TS. Unless things have totally changed WMC (and I think I read somewhere recently MBT) required the full DVD structure to playback. Full structure includes an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

Do you have an AUDIO_TS folder at the same level as the VIDEO_TS. Unless things have totally changed WMC (and I think I read somewhere recently MBT) required the full DVD structure to playback. Full structure includes an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

Ahhh... that might be a great catch.

• Solution

NO actually I don't have it in there, it was never like that on the dvd itself. however I just found out it must have been something with anydvd, because I used dvd decrypter on the matrix and tried it again and it worked awesome...almost.  It works in MBC, but when i try it in MBT it starts the audio but pops up a error which I have attached.

5292c1f8b6bbd_Capture.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
arrbee99

Just wondering if the above situation has changed re DVD rip playback and MBT ?

Just wondering if the above situation has changed re DVD rip playback and MBT ?

I don't think so but you should ask in the MBT forum.