Why do I want this?

earthtorob

earthtorob

I'm not 100% sure, since I only have 1 user, but I believe it could be set up so that a user can only remotely play something on a device that they are logged in to.

From what you're saying though, if you rent out rooms and want multiple users accessing the same library, Emby is exactly what you want. You can invite your tenants by asking for their email address, add them to your server with Emby connect, and they can download the Emby app to whatever mobile device they use (or use the web client) to play on or use as a remote.

As for the Kodi HTPCs, once the tenants has a user, they can login to Kodi and use your media server. After they leave, all you have to do is remove them or log them out.

That sounds great.

earthtorob

I hate to sound like a big dummy but I'm confused about another thing.   I don't understand the syncing.   It seems like there are two different kinds of syncing.

1. Syncing the libraries between Kodi and Emby.

2. Syncing the actual video to a device for offline viewing.

Do I have that right?   If I do then how can I control which kind of syncing I'm doing?

swhitmore

I hate to sound like a big dummy but I'm confused about another thing.   I don't understand the syncing.   It seems like there are two different kinds of syncing.

1. Syncing the libraries between Kodi and Emby.

2. Syncing the actual video to a device for offline viewing.

Do I have that right?   If I do then how can I control which kind of syncing I'm doing?

All the references to syncing on the server refers to moving offline content. The Emby addon for Kodi is what syncs the database, and that's all done on kodi.

El Gordito

earthtorob,

I am a bit confused, what limitation of your current setup are you trying to overcome?  It would seem you currently have a repeatable process that satisfies your needs...

Is there anything in particular you may be looking for to enhance your setup?

earthtorob

earthtorob,

I am a bit confused, what limitation of your current setup are you trying to overcome?  It would seem you currently have a repeatable process that satisfies your needs...

Is there anything in particular you may be looking for to enhance your setup?

One drawback of the Pi is the speed with large libraries.  Partly because of the Processor and partly due to the speed of the SD card.   I had considered mounting an NFS share and linking the XBMC user data to it.  Is seemed like a lot of work.

I've been hearing so about how simple and much faster Plex and Emby are than running everything in XBMC.  Plus there are some features that sound like fun.   Like playing video remotely.  (I currently do that with Subsonic)

Everyone seems to love the simplicity and the consolidation.  I would really like to get in on this new thing everyone is talking about. 

I'm going to keep at it.  I do like the single point of control.  That makes management much simpler.    I just wish that syncing 500 movies and 223 Tv Shows didn't take 3 days.

I'll try the Emby Plugin on a desktop install of Kodi and see if that is fast.

BTW, sorry for using XBMC and Kodi interchangeably.   I've been calling it XBMC for over 10 years.  It's hard to change. :)

earthtorob

All the references to syncing on the server refers to moving offline content. The Emby addon for Kodi is what syncs the database, and that's all done on kodi.

So the sync button on my phone downloads the video (perhaps it should just say "download") and the sync button on the server does what?

swhitmore

So the sync button on my phone downloads the video (perhaps it should just say "download") and the sync button on the server does what?

It does more than just download though. It syncs playstates and removes offline files based on settings.

earthtorob

It does more than just download though. It syncs playstates and removes offline files based on settings.

Is there a good Wiki on the Sync?

Is there any way to get the android remote to stop being so helpful?  There are "suggestions" and "resumes", "next ups", "favorites" and "upcoming" all over the place.   I just want to get to my media.   You know.....click "Tv" then scroll down.   Its easy enough to do that I don't need all the "help"

Vidman

I'm going to keep at it. I do like the single point of control. That makes management much simpler. I just wish that syncing 500 movies and 223 Tv Shows didn't take 3 days.

It definately should be taking that long

Vidman

I agree emby servers use of the term sync is confusing but it is slightly different than just a downloading straight copy ( which emby also allows in some clients ) and i can't think of a better term that is catchy, its more like local/offline content management or something:) as it is more automated with more settings to control what is transferred Edited by Vidman

Vidman

Is there any way to get the android remote to stop being so helpful? There are "suggestions" and "resumes", "next ups", "favorites" and "upcoming" all over the place. I just want to get to my media. You know.....click "Tv" then scroll down. Its easy enough to do that I don't need all the "help"

Also agree, myself and many others have already requested it many times to no avail

Vidman

Press the bright green "Help" button in the web client dashboard sync screen

They are all over the place in the web client if look

Edited by Vidman

earthtorob

It definately should be taking that long

Yeah......I must be doing something wrong.   The guides are a bit thin.  Community support is nice but a detailed guide saves everyone a lot of time.

earthtorob

I agree emby servers use of the term sync is confusing but it is slightly different than just a downloading straight copy ( which emby also allows in some clients ) and i can't think of a better term that is catchy, its more like local/offline content management or something:) as it is more automated with more settings to control what is transferred

How about "backpack"?   You know, pack the thing up to take with you.   Or "import" to sound a bit more formal.  Perhaps "Image", suggesting a duplication.   Maybe "travel". 

I'm not a creative person but coming up with a word to describe a process isn't all that hard.   Hell, I haven't even opened a thesaurus yet. 

One drawback of the Pi is the speed with large libraries.  Partly because of the Processor and partly due to the speed of the SD card.   I had considered mounting an NFS share and linking the XBMC user data to it.  Is seemed like a lot of work.

I've been hearing so about how simple and much faster Plex and Emby are than running everything in XBMC.  Plus there are some features that sound like fun.   Like playing video remotely.  (I currently do that with Subsonic)

Everyone seems to love the simplicity and the consolidation.  I would really like to get in on this new thing everyone is talking about. 

I'm going to keep at it.  I do like the single point of control.  That makes management much simpler.    I just wish that syncing 500 movies and 223 Tv Shows didn't take 3 days.

I'll try the Emby Plugin on a desktop install of Kodi and see if that is fast.

BTW, sorry for using XBMC and Kodi interchangeably.   I've been calling it XBMC for over 10 years.  It's hard to change. :)

You're likely not going to overcome this problem by continuing to use Kodi. I am a Kodi+emby user and even with the quick sync plugin installed, my emby library takes forever to sync on my HTPC when I boot it up. Like, up to 5 minutes. The dedicated emby apps don't have to sync, though, they just talk to the emby server directly and display any new content that the server picks up immediately, which is great. Unfortunately, I still have to use Kodi for my front end for my HTPC because none of the stand-alone emby apps really work as an appliance like Kodi does, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Deihmos

I don't see or notice when this sync occurs and I am using a system with a celeron processor from a few years ago and one with an i3. The Pi is really cheap for a reason.

Edited by Deihmos

I don't see or notice when this sync occurs and I am using a system with a celeron processor from a few years ago and one with an i3. The Pi is really cheap for a reason.

If you don't turn on the notification in the emby plugin settings, you won't see it running... but it's still doing it in the background. I'm running my HTPC on a fairly decent PC I built, much more powerful than a Pi. Still takes a very long time. Also, I run Kodi on my SurfacePro4 and for some reason, the Quicksync emby server plugin does not seem to function on the SP4. Every night I turn it on, it still syncs my entire library. 2000 movies and 150 TV series takes a loooooong time.

Angelblue05

The server plugin records any playstate, content updates and modifications. It is most likely that it's not working because it contains wayyy too many updates for Kodi and while it waits for the server response, the connection times out. To keep things going, it falls back to a manual sync.

To test, you can let the manual sync complete. Then shut down Kodi, update one item, turn on Kodi. See if it processes the single update then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

earthtorob

Any idea why there is a widget on my phone telling me that Game of thrones Season 5 Ep2 has been playing "somewhere" for the past 31 and a half hours?  And how do I stop it?