Android Fire TV Stick USB access question

Shooty*

Shooty*

Hi all,

This question doesn't belong in the Emby support section as it's not really emby related but:

Anyone know if it's possible to access the Fire TV Stick storage from a windows PC so that you can move folders, etc?

I've left the Android SDK installing at home, and am hoping that might help. I've got the Kodi-related app, the name of which escapes me, which allows you to "push" single files through the app interface, or copy a folder through console commands, but I'd like to have the ability to plug the firestick in on USB (I installed the windows google drivers this morning, so that's taken care of), and then just manipulate the folders through an explorer-like interface.

I've googled the question, and most answers come back with the "push" solution, which is not what I want. The other viable alternative seems to be ES Explorer app, but people are saying that that cannot write to the SD storage.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

CBers

I have a Fire TV and using ADB you can access the files OK.

There are various apps available so that you can access them over your wifi as well, such as REMOTE ADB SHELL on Android.

Not sure if you have access to the Alpha forums, but there is a stickied thread about Android Testing, specifically for the Fire TV:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15616-android-testing-tools/

Basically you have to enable ADB debugging on the device (Settings->System->Developer Options and turn on ADB debugging) and then you should be good to go.

• Like 2

Maleficarum

You can also do as I did and sideload es explorer and then enable the remote management option in there. This means if I want to transfer a bunch of files at once I can ftp into it and throw 'em over.

• Like 2

Shooty*

I am now the proud owner of two fire sticks.

I am a zealous convert to Kodi with Emby, esp with the Mimic skin. My god, it's just SO good.

I have also re-done all my metadata. My wife was less than impressed with the time this took.

Still leaning on Kodi, though. Was having real issues with buffering with MKV files, until I just read up about disabling MediaCodec, which seems to have done the job.

Have any of the rest of you tinkered with buffer size? Or any other advanced settings? 

• Like 2

jluce50

Have any of the rest of you tinkered with buffer size? Or any other advanced settings? 

I'd be careful about changing the buffer size on the stick. It's pretty typical to have about 100MB of free RAM and the default buffer size is 20MB (which means it uses 60MB in memory). You might be able to bump it up to 30MB depending on your system, but any higher could cause problems.

• Like 1