Castle OS Smart Home Automation

Luke

BarryAmerika

From looking at the CastleOS forums I think this is something that is coming in the next few months, the ability to tap into that microphone in another room via the xbox.

What I meant was that I don't have the Kinect device lying around to play with so it's another thing I would need to buy just to try this out.

ChrisCicc

Chris I was considering the CastleOS on its own already but a low power device to also run the emby server is on my list of things to sort out, will this come with International power adapters (Australia) and have you tested the transcoding capabilities at all? Can any other microphones be used for testing? I don't have an Xbox so would need to buy the device too.

I will more than likely just get the software and run it on an i3 or better NUC but my needs are modest so low power is good power.

The Kinect is currently the only supported mic, but the gen 1s are widely available used very inexpensively, especially considering their capabilities.

For power adapters it will ship with country specific plugs. Our system's power adapter is international ready, each country gets it's own mickey mouse cable as appropriate. 

Thanks!!

ChrisCicc

Unless it has changed (and hopefully Chris can chime in on this to confirm) the Kinect integration is the PC version, not the XB version. It is also optional, only required for voice control, but there are other options I assume.

If they did have a way to integrate with the XB1 Kinect, I would be all over it. That would make it pretty much #1 for me since it would cover my main living area. All I would need would be some type of controller in the bedroom.

From looking at the CastleOS forums I think this is something that is coming in the next few months, the ability to tap into that microphone in another room via the xbox.

What I meant was that I don't have the Kinect device lying around to play with so it's another thing I would need to buy just to try this out.

With the recent change from MS, there is no long a "Windows version" and "Xbox version" of the Kinect. The Xbox has dedicated plugs for it, so a cable adapter is needed, but otherwise it's the same Kinect. This was done just to simplify MS' supply chain.

BarryAmerika

Thank you Chris.

I'd like to give this a go so I'll be buying a second hand gen 1 Kinect device, do I understand correctly that I will more than likely also need a USB adapter for it? Or is it a power adapter?

I should probably have a proper look through your existing forums for answers to this Chris, I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.

ChrisCicc

Thank you Chris.

I'd like to give this a go so I'll be buying a second hand gen 1 Kinect device, do I understand correctly that I will more than likely also need a USB adapter for it? Or is it a power adapter?

I should probably have a proper look through your existing forums for answers to this Chris, I'm sure I'm not the first to ask.

No worries!! It's hit or miss whether it comes with the (power & USB) adapter, because the units that shipped with an Xbox don't include it. But if it doesn't, it's only $9 on Amazon... 

With the recent change from MS, there is no long a "Windows version" and "Xbox version" of the Kinect. The Xbox has dedicated plugs for it, so a cable adapter is needed, but otherwise it's the same Kinect. This was done just to simplify MS' supply chain.

Not surprising and good to know. However, my current v2 Kinect is put to work doing XB1 things - that was really what I was referring to for me personally. I do have gen 1 from my 360, maybe I will check out my options for it.

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to reply.

mguebert

Chris,

Can you chime in on any advantages over say an ISY standalone controller, coupled with Insteon devices.