Looking to replace my htpc with either nexus or fire

Deihmos

Deihmos

I want to replace my roku and htpc with either a nexus player or fire tv. they both will use kodi but i can't decide which one is the better option. The reviews for the nexus aren't very good but I assume there were software updates. The firetv only has 2.4ghz wifi which imo is really slow. Which one would you go with ?

JeremyFr79

I want to replace my roku and htpc with either a nexus player or fire tv. they both will use kodi but i can't decide which one is the better option. The reviews for the nexus aren't very good but I assume there were software updates. The firetv only has 2.4ghz wifi which imo is really slow. Which one would you go with ?

I use 2.4Ghz Wireless N and get close to 200mbps sustained speeds.  You don't need gigabit to stream a video file that at most uses 20mbps

Deihmos

I can't rely on 2.4ghz to stream live TV. That never worked well for me but it works well with wireless AC. I'm going with the nexus player. I see best buy has it on sale and I have, $10 coupon.

jasonmcroy

Plus, if you're planning on using Kodi it will be easier on the Nexus since it isn't offered via Amazon but is easy to download from Google.

I am using a Nexus player and Nvidia Shield. Nexus isn't as powerful but still works great.

-Jason