Kodi subtitles on transcoded video

rice

With direct streaming, I can turn subtitles off and on on-the-fly but when I transcode the movies to save bandwidth, I can't turn off or switch between multiple languages embedded in the mkv. The subtitles seem to be hardcoded with the video.

Have I missed a setting somewhere? How do I let Kodi handle subtitles on transcoded media? 

Edited by rice

Angelblue05

You can't switch because it's being transcoded. Meaning the server is converting the file into a format the player can read or play. If there's default subtitles, they are burnt in.

So the only way to control audio and subtitles track is to direct stream or direct play.

We will add option later to pre select the audio and subtitle track you want to use before transcoding playback. But it's not a priority at this moment. It will be done eventually :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Ah I see.

Okay, let's say I default all the movies to not transcode with subtitles enabled, is it possible to have Kodi handle subtitles on transcoded media then? 

Edited by rice

Angelblue05

You could download subtitles via Kodi and play them on top of the transcoded file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk