Away from home use case

GB Utah

GB Utah

I have the emby app on my android device.

I have the emby server installed on my home server.

(Works as expected) When I am on my home LAN, everything works as expected. I can open the emby app, browse for a movie and play it locally on android or 'play to' a DLNA device on the LAN.

(Doesn't work as expected) When I am away from my home LAN, when I open the emby app I can still play a movie locally on android. However, if you try to 'play to' a DLNA device on my 'away from home' LAN, I am only presented with DLNA devices on my home LAN. I have a TV at home connected to my home LAN that shows up when I am remote. I understand it's local to my server, but not local to my android. Local to my android I have both a Windows 8.1 laptop and an Xbox One device able to render via DLNA.

Shouldn't the android client look to the LAN it is connected to for appropriate DLNA play back devices?

By the way, the web client accessed on the laptop produces the same results as the android app. I would expect it to also look to the LAN as opposed to the remote server's LAN.

GB Utah

I understand that to be the case. However, wouldn't it make more sense for the android app to cast from the device?

This is the way the Netflix app works.

This is also would be the 'ideal' use case for taking a chromecast on the road, browse home server with emby on android, and cast media to chromecast attached to hotel TV.

not exactly with netflix. if you cast the screen then yes it comes from the device. but if you just play something, it streams from the netflix server just like we do with ours. yes, we should be able to discover dlna devices off network but it just hasn't been implemented yet.

GB Utah

You are correct. My analogy to netflix was to point out that I believe Emby can basically replace netflix in functionality with tons more configurability except for this use case.

I appreciate it hasn't been implemented yet. I was hoping that was the case, rather than a bug or by design.