Just scored a professional Tripp Lite UPS for $5!

jluce50

jluce50

A local university occasionally has surplus sales where they clear out old equipment and I took a chance on a Tripp Lite Smart Pro 700 UPS for $5. I got it home and it appears to be working fine. I may need to replace the batteries, but that's not a big deal. I've been wanting a good UPS for my home theater for a while so I'm super excited! Brownouts are not uncommon around here so the fact that it does voltage regulation is great. Is anyone familiar with these units? Any reason this wouldn't be a good choice for a home theater?

JeremyFr79

A local university occasionally has surplus sales where they clear out old equipment and I took a chance on a Tripp Lite Smart Pro 700 UPS for $5. I got it home and it appears to be working fine. I may need to replace the batteries, but that's not a big deal. I've been wanting a good UPS for my home theater for a while so I'm super excited! Brownouts are not uncommon around here so the fact that it does voltage regulation is great. Is anyone familiar with these units? Any reason this wouldn't be a good choice for a home theater?

My neighbor who also works IT called me  up one day asking if I wanted a UPS as the company he was working for at the time was going out of business.  I said sure not knowing exactly what it was going to be.  Got home to a free APC Smart UPS 3000, needless to say I had to add a dedicated 30 Amp circuit to run it, but for free I'll never complain.  Between that and my other UPS's I have around 7500kva of backup power for my rack.

Edited by JeremyFr79

pir8radio

Smart Pro 700 could be one of a few of their ups units..   Most are modified sine wave...  so when they cut over to battery you may hear or see (monitor) noise.   I don't like running them on my good TV's.  If you have an online ups (runs on battery 24-7 while charging them) those are usually pure sine wave inverters and are good for just about anything.

jluce50

Smart Pro 700 could be one of a few of their ups units..   Most are modified sine wave...  so when they cut over to battery you may hear or see (monitor) noise.   I don't like running them on my good TV's.  If you have an online ups (runs on battery 24-7 while charging them) those are usually pure sine wave inverters and are good for just about anything.

Mine is the SMART700SER. Are the modified sine waves harmful? I don't believe mine is an online UPS, but I'm not certain. I'm not really concerned with PQ while running on battery as long as it doesn't damage my equipment.

dark_slayer

We use exclusively Tripp Lite in our office for surge protection, but all APC for UPS

I have an APC at home, got an open-box unit but nowhere near that price. I'd be happy to take any other $5 units off your hands ;-)

jluce50

We use exclusively Tripp Lite in our office for surge protection, but all APC for UPS

I have an APC at home, got an open-box unit but nowhere near that price. I'd be happy to take any other $5 units off your hands ;-)

Haha! Yeah, I could probably start a business reselling their stuff. A friend told me they occasionally get like-new Herman Miller office chairs for $25.

pir8radio

Modified sine wave power causes some extra stress on some electronics.  But its not like your going to be running on UPS for days...  :D  I would much rather have it in line than not for sure!  I was just letting you know in case you plug your LCD tv or something into it...  you will notice lines in the screen and "buzzing" from some power supplies on some equipment, some audio amplifiers will buzz too, when running on battery...   I only mentioned it because you said you were using it on your home theater... 

• Like 1