Help with synology

Ally68

Ally68

Ok am planning on getting a synology server and hope to run Emmy on it at some point which model is the best at running Emby to stream to a roku?

Thanks

Ally68

Well looks like the i3 ones are out of my price range but the ds415+ or the ds1515+ both look interesting wanting a good universal storage and backup system for my house with hopes I can use Emby or something to stream to my rokus.

What do you think?

Thanks very new to nas

Gernash

@Ally68

IMHO

Emby for synology works. BUT i feel there are issues with the transcoding atm (ffmpeg optimization) in regards to CPU usage. I'm fiddling with it atm for MY DS1812+ if you can stream directly then it's no issue but high bitrate transcoding does not give a satisfactory end user experience.(same issue with docker(visualization) version)

ATM I'd use a PC for the Emby server and the NAS as file storage. I like SYNOLOGY and their no fuss warranty. As an example of how awesome they are, I had a disk crash that corrupted my raid and I sent them an email about it. They logged into the nas repaired the array within 36hrs. They also did not bill me. One of the best customer experiences I've had (I deploy them to small business as mail/file servers all the time)

But for an all in 1 solution stay tuned I have not given it the kiss of death yet.

If you are just doing low resolution streams, or direct pathing then it works great. But I personally want a HOME THEATER experience(I get this with WMC and Emby for WMC) with HIGH REZ and LOSSLESS/Passthrough audio, it wont do that unless you "Roll your Own" Synology nas. (Xpenology)

Ally68

Cool right now I stream from pc to home theater with Emby to roku I re encode everything so it will direct play no trans but I can use a pic still and just use nas for storage that work good as well? I am debating ds1515+ or ds415+ what would be your choice for home use

Ally68

One more question deciding between the ds415+ and the ds1515+ seems the only big difference is the 1515 I can upgrade the memory to 6gig the 415 is only 2 and not upgradable just wonder if the extra ram would help out with just a one house server

braddles69

@@Ally68

I'm considering an upgrade from a 413j as the unit is exceptional at serving files to my PC's and WDTV live, but trying to use the emby server it hits 99% CPU and 70-80% Ram all the time. My options are the DS415Play which has the dual core cpu with onboard transcoding available (with the Videostation app...not sure if the FFmpeg build for emby would be able to utilise...apparently Plex can't)...but no Ram upgrade possible. The DS415+ has the quad core cpu but no SoC transcoding ability but the Ram can be upgraded if you want to pull the unit apart...see  http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=91905.

Or I could just stay with the 413j and wait until the ffmpeg builds evolve...;)

Ally68

I am thinking the ds415+ pull case apart and putting in 8 gig sim Any one else done this with success?

braddles69

My thoughts too...the link above @CharlesHooper seems to be the guru in regards to the upgrade and the right ram to use.

Gernash

@Ally68

DS415+ System Memory

2 GB DDR is the MAX memory

Synology is very picky with ram, Not just any old stick will work with them. I looked at the guide that was linked, this may only be with some models of the 415+ that it works with every other one I've played with held true to the MAX memory on the web site.

Edited by Gernash

• 2 months later...
mrbasic1

Well, I have 8GB in my DS415+ and have for a couple weeks with no issues at all. The memory was only about $40 from Amazon

The chip was this one on Amazon

Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B

Directions to upgrade memory are found by searching for it, the link below is helpfull, however my DS415+ case came apart same as a DS412+.

https://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/review-of-synology-ds415-how-to-add-memory-to-the-ds415-web-pages-not-databases/

• Like 1