Feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Shooty*

e123enitan

This would be a great feature if emby/kodi pulled users profiles from server, since the user info are currently resides in server, I am wondering why this couldn’t be implemented ;)  or it is for future consideration, as I understand, current focus is stability of emby/kodi

If it’s possible, it would result in onetime Kodi sync to the server, thereafter, when users logged into Kodi, they should see their respective pofile as it is setup in Emby server, also should save setup time where several clients are connected to server.

Just my two cents thought, hope it make sense.  

Cheers!

deepseth

Can you think of ways in which an addon with support to adjust the Kodi users could behave maliciously?

That'll be the first thing Kodi devs should be thinking about before even considering this any further.

xnappo

Not sure what you mean, if we wanted to be malicious we can certainly do that without adjusting users :)

I can't see how auto creating users based on the Emby server is more dangerous than anything else we have in the addon.  But it would certainly need to be an opt-in feature.  Not sure if it is possible though, and not a feature I would use..

Edited by xnappo

Our user profile system and associated library tailoring and parental control is one of our strongest differentiating features.

So, if we could get proper user handling in the Kodi interface, that would make it an even better alternative as a front-end.

• Like 3

e123enitan

Our user profile system and associated library tailoring and parental control is one of our strongest differentiating features.

So, if we could get proper user handling in the Kodi interface, that would make it an even better alternative as a front-end.

@@ebr I shared same view, it seems an interesting subject (Kodi user profile <sync>Embyser user profile), therefore it would seems appropriate if a new thread is created titled accordingly as the title of this thread doesn’t in my view reflect the subject of discussion or a digressed from initial discussion, so if one of the PM can create a separate thread for user comments/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by e123enitan

CBers

@@ebr I shared same view, it seems an interesting subject (Kodi user profile <sync>Embyser user profile), therefore it would seems appropriate if a new thread is created titled accordingly as the title of this thread doesn’t in my view reflect the subject of discussion or a digressed from initial discussion, so if one of the PM can create a separate thread for user comments/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

@@e123enitan - you're more than welcome to create a new thread :)

Shooty*

Just popped back to see what was happening. 
Frankly, was a little fearful of flaming responses. Can't see any.

In fact, I'm delighted that we seem to have ignited a discussion about improving things. Bravo.

Angelblue: Particularly helpful. Shall check that out.

I shall digest all your comments tomorrow, hopefully.

Views over the last couple of days:

I have discovered the skin called Mimic. The poster view (or, as it calls it, wall) is actually pretty good.

I'm doing most things through Videos at the moment. It doesn't like mixed content, does it? I'm using MakeMKV to turn my DVD tv shows into individual episodes, which I'm actually pretty happy about: Gatchaman, for example, at 105 eps, should be WAY easier to navigate like this than as 14 DVDs.
Slowly getting to grips with the Collections idea. Seems to work OK. 

Less of a fan of the fact that on pressing "video", then "1 Movies", it then takes me to the moves, recently added, in progress, etc. Will root around the options to look for a way around that.

Haven't been able to explore the TV views yet for mixed content reasons.

If using Emby, my folders have the green square type logo. Is it possible to replace that with a decent image? LIke: one I choose? Guessing now.

Might read up on skin design...

Edited by Shooty*

Shooty*

I would disagree strongly and point you at the screenshots in my skin (see signature) and say they were far more beautiful. But neither of us is right or wrong, it's just personal opinions.

I quite agree, my friend. I have looked at your sig. I can see the attraction, and appreciate your layout but, as you say, it's a personal thing, and it's not for me  :)

I have overcome my Kodi prejudice. I shall continue to tinker. But, for now, my heart belongs to Emby and Chocolate  ;)

• Like 1

Shooty*

OK, third post in a row, but think it's worth while:

I bought a firestick yesterday.

Sideloaded (See?!?? Got the lingo down and everything) Kodi.

Installed Emby for Kodi. Took me a couple of goes to figure out that you have to get the repo and THEN the addon. Was looking at the Repo icon thinking "That doesn't look like the green logo thing".

After initial problems of getting a box saying "streaming", then nothing happening when I pressed play on an item, despite all the artwork appearing (and therefore indicating that connection was at least being made to the media), re-did my server paths and made sure that the Network Username and password on the Emby configuration on Kodi was completed (it didn't prompt me for it). 
Long story short: It's now working.

OMG. Slight lag on the menus with 900+ movies, but still... wow. To think that all that media goodness can be packed onto that tiny stick.

I am really, really impressed.

I've put the Emby app on as well. Again, though it's not as austere as I like, that's also very good, and the menu systems work well.

Might be moving my "dust magnet" HTPC out of the living room today in favour of the Fire Stick. Just in terms of the quietness (without the cooling fans from HTPC) this was totes worth it.

Quick question: You know when you go into Videos and it lists your Emby folders? Is it possible to give them icons?

Edited by Shooty*

CBers

Quick question: You know when you go into Videos and it lists your Emby folders? Is it possible to give them icons?

You shouldn't see the folders, you should see Movies, TV and whatever Emby libraries you have.

Do you group your TV and/or Movies in the Dashboard ?

Edited by CBers