stand alone mediabrowser

JERRY1

Koleckai Silvestri

Covert art is too spreadout want to change it.In the picture i uploaded i can click on settings not home,select view or sort by.

Can click on logout,exit emby , sleep, restart, shutdown.Tv folders ok now, Thanks to all for there help

That is because you have it in a thumbnail view and only have poster art for that thumbnail view. If you let Emby handle the metadata by using a proper folder structure, it would look better.

AdrianW

IMO Emby Theatre isn't ready for prime time just yet.

Go with Emby for WMC - and to avoid codec issues entirely, install MPC-HC and set it up as an external player via the Emby for WMC configurator.

Deihmos

How can anyone recommend such a convoluted setup. i dont get it...WMC is crap for anything but tv. Have any of you tried emby with kodi?

• Like 1

JERRY1

Just how old is emby anyway,didn't know emby is mb until about 2 weeks ago.

Been getting emails from emby for months but i always deleted never reading.

Macburp

Just how old is emby anyway

Under different names - coming up for 10 years now.

AdrianW

How can anyone recommend such a convoluted setup. i dont get it...WMC is crap for anything but tv. Have any of you tried emby with kodi?

Emby for WMC is the best client for Emby - and is a much smoother and graphically rich interface than Kodi. 

Although, I must admit I haven't spent that much time with Kodi, as it just didn't seem worth the effort. Emby WMC works natively with my collections as configured within Emby Server., whereas Kodi needs significant amounts of configuration just to get it usable.

Koleckai Silvestri

Emby for WMC is the best client for Emby - and is a much smoother and graphically rich interface than Kodi. 

Although, I must admit I haven't spent that much time with Kodi, as it just didn't seem worth the effort. Emby WMC works natively with my collections as configured within Emby Server., whereas Kodi needs significant amounts of configuration just to get it usable.

Having set up both in the past it is actually "six one way and half a dozen the other". Neither is more convoluted or complicated than the other. Both take about the same amount of time. The biggest issue is that WMC on Windows 8 can cost you over $100 per device depending on the version of Windows installed. Kodi is free.

Not sure how that helps this person's issues though.

Deihmos

That is completely false. What considerable amount of config? Install kodi -  install the emby addon and that's it. Whatever else you want to do after that is up to you.

My problem with  WMC is it isn't meant for some videos. i was using MBC for almost a year until I couldn't take it anymore. WMC crashed occasionally, can't smoothly rewind and ff with mkv videos, no subtitle management or audio selection and the lack of decent addons. Arctic zephyr is a graphically rich skin for kodi. The default skin is so that it performs well even on very low powered devices.

Edited by Deihmos

AdrianW

That is completely false. What considerable amount of config? Install kodi -  install the emby addon and that's it. 

Well, that's what I did - and I ended up with something nothing like the way I have Emby configured within the server (I have no grouped content, four different users, and collections containing TV shows). 

After I installed Kodi and the add on - I ended up with TV and Movie sections. I have multiple TV and movie folders that I want to see separate, and I have my archive movie folders and some of the TV folders nested a couple of levels deep. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't get Kodi to display that way. If you can point me at a tutorial that will let me configure it for folder based browsing, then maybe you have a point. But, it doesn't seem to want to do that out of the box.

This is getting quite a bit OT for this thread though.

Edited by AdrianW

Deihmos

Well it isn't a native emby player and to get users what you do is create the profile in kodi and sync with the emby user. All the other stuff is easily solved and at the end you have a very nice player that does not consume much resources. My PC uses far less power in Kodi than in WMC. Anyway I don't want to railroad this topic. You can always get help on the kodi section

Good day,

Out of the thread issue, I agree with both AdrianW and Deihmos, if you go with classic (WMC) then Ebr did great job, if you go with Kodi for Emby, then again the dev's team for kodi did as well great job, it a matters of how you want things to work/looks.

Back to the topic here, my advise to the OP of this thread, to go by the recommended naming for the folders/files to get the best of the Emby server.

My best

JERRY1

This is what i'm going to do,.install emby for wmc on htpc.

Install emby theater & server on another pc for more testing.

I love the emby player..displays better than wmc in my case

Can i use the same name on the pc for emby ?

Edited by JERRY1

AdrianW

Can i use the same name on the pc for emby ?

Not sure what you mean there - can you explain.

Are you talking about emby user names?

AdrianW

Yes, emby user names

OK, so you create your user names just once in the WebUI of the server. And then they just appear in every client. 

You need to install the server one one PC, and then as many clients as you need on other PCs / devices.

In my case, I have Emby server and Emby for WMC installed on my HTPC which lives below my TV. 

• 1 month later...
JERRY1

One last issue i'm having,i have my sci-fi, westerns etc, in separate folders from other movies.

How to i add these folders without them mergeing with the rest. I want to see sci-fi folder etc,

in emby click on it with all the sci-fi movies inside. Thanks to all who helped tv shows 100 %

fixed now.

Happy2Play

Are you referring to separate libraries?

Have you unchecked content grouping?

Click user top right-settings-home screen-my view

55c7e1a99c410_grouping.jpg

TolkienBard

That's a lot of work,you're talking almost a thousand to ediIt.

Either that or go back to media browser classic

There is a very useful program called Bulk Rename Utility. It will lest you go through and fix the names on all your files in a very easy, quick manner, without having to go through and do each one separately. 

JERRY1

No my library is not separate. i have all my sci fi movies in a folder

named sci-fi movies. Same for westerns,martial arts, comedy, etc

Tried that in my views but they're still being grouped

xnappo

I've lost track of what we are talking about, but you can make Genre entry points in Emby for Kodi.

Happy2Play

Sounds like you need to point to each folder when you setup your library then ungroup content type.

55c93359ccde6_library.jpg

55c93378a427a_media.jpg

They are being grouped because you defined all the locations as a single media folder. 

If you want to show those locations separately within Emby, then you need to do what Happy said in post 46.  Create separate media folders for each of those locations and then un-check them in the grouping list.

My guess is what you want is 3 media folders:

Movies with locations:

E:\Media\Movies

F:\Movies2

Kung FU Movies with location:

E:\Media\Kung FU Movies

Sci-Fi Movies with location:

E:\Media\Sci-Fi Movies

Vidman

Also from your screenshot it seems you ignored the suggestion at the start of the thread regarding UNC paths, if you make the effort to set it up this way from the start it will save you alot of headaches/frustrations down the line... And save everyone here from having to help you troubleshoot issues resulting from you not using UNC paths in the future

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1