Emby and multithread support

podrae

podrae

Hi Guys

I have a question that I haven't been able to find a direct answer for.

I have Emby installed on a hp ml330 g6 server with a xeon quad at 2.4ghz. I find I can get three transcoding streams running at once (just) on this and the majority of my media is not 1080p quality (around 1.3gb or less per movie) This maxes out the processor and can be jerky for the third person until it buffers enough.

I have no hyperthreading on my current cpu but I am looking at a xeon 5638 which is a hT 6 core 2ghz chip.

Am I going to see real benefits with this? I know general video encoding likes more cores rather than ghz but im not sure about emby and transcoding. Mostly this is done via android or chrome browser.

Thanks for any input

deepseth

Given that it's ffmpeg that's doing the transcoding under the hood, most likely the more grunt your CPU has, the more simultaneous transcode jobs you'll be able to do.

I'm new to emby mind, so consider this a placeholder until someone with more knowledge/experience comes along :)

JeremyFr79

Hi Guys

I have a question that I haven't been able to find a direct answer for.

I have Emby installed on a hp ml330 g6 server with a xeon quad at 2.4ghz. I find I can get three transcoding streams running at once (just) on this and the majority of my media is not 1080p quality (around 1.3gb or less per movie) This maxes out the processor and can be jerky for the third person until it buffers enough.

I have no hyperthreading on my current cpu but I am looking at a xeon 5638 which is a hT 6 core 2ghz chip.

Am I going to see real benefits with this? I know general video encoding likes more cores rather than ghz but im not sure about emby and transcoding. Mostly this is done via android or chrome browser.

Thanks for any input

Yes you'll see an increase.  ffMpeg is threaded and will use all available cores/threads.  Remember though physical cores will always outweigh Hyper-Threading though.  I run dual X5570's so 16 threads total and you can easily see Emby/ffMpeg using all threads/cores.

• Like 1