MBT or My Video Card

jj12345

jj12345

I'm a bit of a newb to MB and HTPC in general as I'm just now breaking away from the limitations of my WDTV box.

I have a Windows 8.1 box hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI with MBS and MBT installed.  Sometimes when starting or watching a video my video colors go negative/inverse/crazy.  Not sure how to describe it better than that so I've attached an image (the appropriate colors are not neon pink and neon green).  It doesn't happen all the time or even all the time for the same video but if I watch a couple of videos it's bound to happen at some point.  It seems to happen most often at video start or scene transition which I know sounds even more bizarre.  

post-754-0-35363600-1384992891_thumb.jpg

I only have this 1 HDTV hooked up but the workaround is to grab a keyboard and Win+P and alternate between pc-only display and duplicate display which causes the video card to reset and correct the image at least for a while.  Because of that I'm inclined to think it's not a MBT issue but I don't know enough to rule that out so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this.

If not MBT, does anyone have any other suggestions?  I've done a bunch of searching on possible causes and solutions to no avail... my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630.  Maybe there is a Windows display setting triggering this?

Any and all input is welcome.

It's hard to say. We're using a basic direct show player which in theory makes it very similar to windows media player. but of course, it's all still very new and will continue to improve.

• 2 weeks later...
jj12345

Closing the loop in case someone else encounters this problem.  Tested playing video files with media player and found the same intermittent color distortion which verified my assumption that it was not MBT causing the problem.  I'm not 100% what the cause was but spent some time in NVIDIA control panel and found that under "Adjust desktop color settings" changing "Content type reported to the display" from "Auto" to "Full-screen videos" and changing "Digital Color Format" from "RGB" to "YCbCr444" fixed the issue.  That may or may not be the ideal solution but it worked for me and I'm so tired of the problem I'm done trying to figure it out now that I have a fix and/or work-around. 

Mopar_Mudder

Not sure if this is relevant but I noticed that since installing MBS and MBT the weather gadget on my W7 desktop has a similar look to what you are showing. Videos all play fine but I did notice something, everything looks like the brightness is turned up and softened. The first movie we watched I thought it was the way it was filmed, because I have seen that done before. Then we tried a different movie and no their is something wrong, strange thing is that TMT is doing the same thing now and I though that used its own codec? At any rate I am working on restoring my HTPC to a back up from before I installed MBS and MBT, will see if the problem goes away then. I am using Intel on board graphics.