Wanting to build NAS that can transcode. What hardware?

famulor

Swynol

i use drivepool and highly recommend it. its easy, doesnt take long to setup and just works and carries on working. i have 35TB~ of storage with crucial data mirrored on 3+ drives and most other stuff just mirrored on 2. one drive goes down i insert a new one and it rebuilds it. 

Tharnax

Isnt there a program that only copys/syncs newly uploaded content? 

Yes, it's called Bitsync and they just updated to 2.2 which finally allows for the sync of more than 10 folders without a Pro license, prior to that version 2 only allowed 10 folders with their free service and charged ridiculously high annual pro license for allow you to sync more than 10 folders.  

I run 3 servers in three completely separate locations, one in another country.  The "primary" server, maintains all the content and the other two "slave" servers receive the content using Read Only folders through Bitsync, certain folders I can maintain a three way sync so documents, photos, etc., can be added to any server and they automatically sync with the rest.  However, the two slave servers have limited upload capacity so I limit the number of read/write sync folders which family members have access.  If any family member wants to watch a new show for example, I'll add it to the primary server and then create read only folders on the two slave servers which will start syncing as soon as the new content is added to the primary server.  

It's requires a lot of storage space, but all three locations have full 1080p HD audio home theater type setups so streaming the content wouldn't produce the same quality besides I only have to pay for hardware for one of the locations.

BTW, I saw your spec list, nice! But, I think you went slightly over budget.  ;)

ice pube

i use drivepool and highly recommend it. its easy, doesnt take long to setup and just works and carries on working. i have 35TB~ of storage with crucial data mirrored on 3+ drives and most other stuff just mirrored on 2. one drive goes down i insert a new one and it rebuilds it. 

DrivePool is seriously incredible. Looking forward to moving my setup into a nice Supermicro case and just having my pool just available. 

• 4 weeks later...
Dizzy49

Well, I got the parts, and it was a fairly easy upgrade.  I ended up using my old case and drives.  The hardest part was updating the firmware for my SSD so I could boot from it.  I repurposed a 120GB OCZ I had, and it took me 30min to realize it's why I couldn't get Windows installed.

Once I got past that the IPMI was a godsend!  I mounted the Windows DVD image on my desktop, and used IPMI to boot from it.  I was up and running in record time!  My *ONLY* complaint with the IPMI is that I have to log into the system, and then initiate the remote process which downloads a java file that I then have to launch.  With my RDP I just hit the RDP and click 'Connect' and I'm in.

I installed Drivepool and Scanner and played with them for a bit before I did anything with my data.  I had some concerns about heat for a bit due to what scanner was reporting, but I figured that all out.  Without scanner, I would have had no idea!  Loving that program already!

Drivepool was very straightforward and simple to set up.  I found a few tricks to move data without having to actually move all the data across drives.  I love how it then balanced the load across the drives.  I haven't done much duplicating yet.  I have a 39TB pool, and 23TB of data I would ideally like to duplicate.  I duplicated about 10GB of important things (mostly pics of my kids).

I have Emby 3.0.5781.1 installed right now.  I have been spending all my time getting my collection cleaned up and imported, so I haven't spent a lot of time transcoding or on any metrics.  I tried to set up a Kodi box with the Emby app, but when I try to play anything it says the file can't be found.  So I need to get that fixed before I dig into things.  Loving the auto-organize!  Need to see if I can tweak for some anime though.

Compared to my sad D525, this thing FLIES.  It took forever to unRAR files, and when in Explorer it would often lag for 3-5 seconds when I clicked on things.  Add those seconds up, and I spent an hour or two a week just waiting!  First thing I unRAR'ed was an episode of Robot Chicken.  It blinked and was done.  I thought I misclicked or something, but it was just that fast!

Anyway, I'm off and running and loving the new build.

Well, I got the parts, and it was a fairly easy upgrade.  I ended up using my old case and drives.  The hardest part was updating the firmware for my SSD so I could boot from it.  I repurposed a 120GB OCZ I had, and it took me 30min to realize it's why I couldn't get Windows installed.

Once I got past that the IPMI was a godsend!  I mounted the Windows DVD image on my desktop, and used IPMI to boot from it.  I was up and running in record time!  My *ONLY* complaint with the IPMI is that I have to log into the system, and then initiate the remote process which downloads a java file that I then have to launch.  With my RDP I just hit the RDP and click 'Connect' and I'm in.

I installed Drivepool and Scanner and played with them for a bit before I did anything with my data.  I had some concerns about heat for a bit due to what scanner was reporting, but I figured that all out.  Without scanner, I would have had no idea!  Loving that program already!

Drivepool was very straightforward and simple to set up.  I found a few tricks to move data without having to actually move all the data across drives.  I love how it then balanced the load across the drives.  I haven't done much duplicating yet.  I have a 39TB pool, and 23TB of data I would ideally like to duplicate.  I duplicated about 10GB of important things (mostly pics of my kids).

I have Emby 3.0.5781.1 installed right now.  I have been spending all my time getting my collection cleaned up and imported, so I haven't spent a lot of time transcoding or on any metrics.  I tried to set up a Kodi box with the Emby app, but when I try to play anything it says the file can't be found.  So I need to get that fixed before I dig into things.  Loving the auto-organize!  Need to see if I can tweak for some anime though.

Compared to my sad D525, this thing FLIES.  It took forever to unRAR files, and when in Explorer it would often lag for 3-5 seconds when I clicked on things.  Add those seconds up, and I spent an hour or two a week just waiting!  First thing I unRAR'ed was an episode of Robot Chicken.  It blinked and was done.  I thought I misclicked or something, but it was just that fast!

Anyway, I'm off and running and loving the new build.

Awesome!

You know for IPMI, I heard you just have to type in the IPMI interface IP in a browser and you don't need the java install to work with it. Not sure if that is true, but thought I'd mention it. 

Also for your Kodi/Emby issue, check your Path Substitutions under Emby Server Settings>Library>Path Substitutions.  Make sure you have them according to standards and each library you have should have one path sub:

i.e.

From To   Z:\Movies \\mediaserver01\Videos\Movies

As for me, as suspected the build I posted is not the final one and I'm still tweaking / debating.  I'm waiting to get closer to end of year before purchasing and setting everything up.  Right now, I'm going for a FreeNAS system that is 100% NAS and then a separate windows system with an I7 to run Emby.  More expensive in the long run but i'm really worried about running Emby in a FreeNAS jail versus Windows (it's primary OS). Anyway, i've got some time before i make my final decision but it's encouraging you are having such good experience with supermicro and xeon processor!

Dizzy49

Awesome!

You know for IPMI, I heard you just have to type in the IPMI interface IP in a browser and you don't need the java install to work with it. Not sure if that is true, but thought I'd mention it. 

Also for your Kodi/Emby issue, check your Path Substitutions under Emby Server Settings>Library>Path Substitutions.  Make sure you have them according to standards and each library you have should have one path sub:

i.e.

From To   Z:\Movies \\mediaserver01\Videos\Movies

As for me, as suspected the build I posted is not the final one and I'm still tweaking / debating.  I'm waiting to get closer to end of year before purchasing and setting everything up.  Right now, I'm going for a FreeNAS system that is 100% NAS and then a separate windows system with an I7 to run Emby.  More expensive in the long run but i'm really worried about running Emby in a FreeNAS jail versus Windows (it's primary OS). Anyway, i've got some time before i make my final decision but it's encouraging you are having such good experience with supermicro and xeon processor!

Yes, if I type in the IP, I can get to the IPMI screen, even with the machine off!  I can do basic things like turn it off and on and check on some things from that interface.  If I want to remote control it requires java.

Someone else just suggested I add subs for the folders.  I just did that and it's still not working.

More tweaking.  Always the most fun part :)

• 2 years later...