FireTV: HD TV Channels Performance

Chuck

Chuck

I replaced Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI with Silicon Dust PRIME to get Live TV support for Emby natively, using the EmbyTV plugin.  (much better than NextPVR).

The problem is with HD Channels where I'm getting video freezes/stops for a number of seconds then the show resumes, and glitching picture once in a while.

This problem is considerably less with Emby as opposed to Silicon Dust HDHomeRun VIEW.  So, I'm assuming that Emby is Transcoding the Live TV stream.

I've attempted to change the FireTV Emby app client Playback maximum bitrate limit to 5 Mbs, and have tested as low as 1 Mbs, but there seems to be no difference.

I've attempted to reduce the server Remote client bitrate limit (Mbps) to 5 based on recommendation in one of the other posts, no difference.

I've also toggled the Transcoding Enable Throttling to no avail.

This behavior is frustrating, to put it mildly.

Is there something I missing with the configurations???

Note, I'm maintaining the latest stable releases for Emby Server the moment they are posted, and assume that Fire TV is keeping up with the app releases, have installed a Cat 6 10,100,1000 Ethernet backend, and Intel Core i7 X980 3.33 Ghz/12 MB Ram, Windows 8.1 PC running as the server.

PhilWhite

I have limited knowledge of all the possibilities, but there seem to be few settings you can tweak with the Fire TV.  And the device seems to be the primary problem.  I don't think there is a ton of codec support in Emby itself for TV playback either.

I found much better TV performance on the Fire TV with Kodi and using the HDHomerun Live video addon in Kodi.  You have to side load Kodi on to the Fire TV, but it is worth it.

Also the Emby for Kodi addon is great and allows you to use Emby and still use all the beautification you want with Kodi.

The only problem with the Fire TV I have found is with 1080i content -- the interlacing comb effect is a bit irritating with sports.  With Kodi Helix 14.2 you can use hardware acceleration with the Fire TV and de-interlace with Mediacodec in the video settings, but you will still see some jitteriness in the picture.  With Mediacodec turned off and Libstagefright on the picture is very smooth, but you cannot de-interlace (and get the combing effect).  That problem will apparently be solved in 9 days when Kodi 15 is released (or you could use the beta 2 version now).

I primarily use Emby TV as my DVR.  HDHomerun should have their DVR software out in beta later this month, but there is still no indication that FreeNAS will be supported.

The other option I am contemplating and still researching is the Nvidia Shield which now has hardware acceleration for MEPG-2 content and de-interlacing.  And Kodi is directly available in the google store.

If the problem is there with the HD Homerun software itself wouldn't that point to something outside of Emby?

Chuck

Actually, no.  when using the HD Homerun View app, the app shows a message that there are performance issues with HD channels.

Also, when using Emby, whatever you're doing with the interaction between the tuner to Emby to the client makes a profound improvement.  But, it does not totally fix the problem.

That's what had me tinkering with the bit-rate, etc.

Chuck

see this link from the Silicon Dist support site regarding HDHomerun VIEW ...

http://www.silicondust.com/support/instructions/troubleshooting/#hd-channels-do-not-play-smoothly

HD channels do not play smoothly

This is a known limitation of the current player. We are working on updates to better handle HD channel playback

Looks like Embry is 1\2 step ahead of Silicon Dust in handling the TV signal stream.

Just curious to see if there's a setting currently available in Embry to get to smoother performance.

Edited by Chuck

PhilWhite

If the problem is there with the HD Homerun software itself wouldn't that point to something outside of Emby?

Just updated to the latest server version and the latest Emby TV plugin.  Looks considerably better than it did just a few weeks ago.  I may have to give up on the Kodi interface now. :)

Chuck

Welcome to the dark side :ph34r:  Emby is a much simpler, more stable, and easier to use platform than Kodi.

PhilWhite

The interlacing issue improves slightly with transcode set to 'mobile' in the HD Homerun config GUI, but it is still an issue with 1080i broadcasts.  It's especially noticeable with fast movement -- watching XTerra now and it is very obvious with surfing.

What de-interlacing protocol does Emby TV use?

I only use Kodi as a front end.  Emby serves up all my media.  Sill looking for the final solution for de-interlacing 1080i content, but Emby TV looks much better now than it did two or three weeks ago.  I switched back to HD Homerun Live in Kodi because it gave the best picture at the time and I hated the interface in InstaPro TV.  Two or three weeks ago I saw considerable pixilation with HD broadcasts in Emby TV , but that is no longer a problem.  All that is left is the same de-interlacing problem that most platforms seem to share.

fredg89

The interlacing issue improves slightly with transcode set to 'mobile' in the HD Homerun config GUI, but it is still an issue with 1080i broadcasts.  It's especially noticeable with fast movement -- watching XTerra now and it is very obvious with surfing.

What de-interlacing protocol does Emby TV use?

I only use Kodi as a front end.  Emby serves up all my media.  Sill looking for the final solution for de-interlacing 1080i content, but Emby TV looks much better now than it did two or three weeks ago.  I switched back to HD Homerun Live in Kodi because it gave the best picture at the time and I hated the interface in InstaPro TV.  Two or three weeks ago I saw considerable pixilation with HD broadcasts in Emby TV , but that is no longer a problem.  All that is left is the same de-interlacing problem that most platforms seem to share.

If the issue is with de-interlacing, then why not run the HDHomeRun at 720p which is basically 1080i?

I don't have one but I was just wanting to throw that out there.

Chuck

Not a setting option for the HDHomeRun

I've made a couple of changes that seem to have helped ...

Server:

Set the Remote client bitrate limit (Mbps) to 5

Disabled Transcoding Throttling

FireTV Client

Set the max bitrate to 30mbs

The thinking with the client is that this is the default value, and I'm assuming the mbs on the server overrides the client setting.

So far, minimal testing, it seems to be working.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days to and post the results.

PhilWhite

If the issue is with de-interlacing, then why not run the HDHomeRun at 720p which is basically 1080i?

I don't have one but I was just wanting to throw that out there.

That is more or less what I tried to do by setting the Extend on mobile transcode -- which is up to 720p at 30 fps.  I had a few problems with that tuner yesterday, though, so I'm not entirely sure of the result.  I plan to play with it tonight to see how things look.  The only issue is with rapid movement anyway, so for the most part all works very well.

ETA:  Well, it's hard to tell with the news since there isn't a lot of movement, but so far so good with no interlacing issues on mobile settings.  I had a tuner stuck on its original settings (heavy -- which includes transcoding up to 1080i) yesterday and I think that was the problem.

Edited by PhilWhite

Chuck

Not a setting option for the HDHomeRun

Server:

FireTV Client

Set the max bitrate to 30mbs

The thinking with the client is that this is the default value, and I'm assuming the mbs on the server overrides the client setting.

So far, minimal testing, it seems to be working.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days to and post the results.

Well, to date, this configuration is holding without pixilation or frame freezes.  :)

tp546

Server:

Where are these settings located for the server? I can't seem to find them under Live TV...

Chuck

These are server transcoding settings under playback.

From my understanding, these are programmed to actually only cover standard media, and not LiveTV