If windows 10 is free for everyone... Then... ??

chef

chef

Aero Snap? Align apps with left or right of the monitor and use split screens? That is a Windows 7 feature. May have even been in Vista. Windows 10 does improve on how it works.

When you snap an open window to one side of the screen, any other open windows move to other side of the screen, in a sort of mini versions.

You seem to be able to then choose from the other open application windows and "snap" up/down/ and fully to the other side of the screen.

Win 7 had it, but it wouldn't show the mini open windows on the opposite side.

This will probably make for easier comparison of open windows.

Edited by chef

Koleckai Silvestri

I know. I've been running Windows 10 since October. I find it to be a worthy upgrade to Windows 7 and will gladly forget that Windows 8 ever existed.

• Like 3

diaz1510

I agree 100% it's old, I think like 1999? I was just poking fun at it.  :)

MS is really hit or miss...XP solid, Vista....WIn7 awesome, Win8 so-so. By that logic 10 should be good. 

And who could forget Windows ME.....ewwwwww....lol....

DGMayor

The free upgrade is only for home users/standard license owners.  Volume license users such as large businesses, or for example the school system I work for will still be paying for it.  This is really where they make most their money on an OS anyways.  With so many people getting copies from friends or pirated versions from the internet, plus the mea culpa of Windows 8, it really is in their best interest to get as many home users running a legit and up to date (i.e. supported) version of their OS.

techywarrior

For those who have XP and want a free upgrade to Win10 there is a very simple way you can use for the next month.

1. Sign up for Windows Insider Preview program.
  2. Download Win10 ISO
  3. Install on machine with XP (either you should do this just a few days before July 29 or as a second OS)
  4. On July 29 you will get the GA build of Win10
  5. Disable "preview builds" in the Win10 settings -> updates

MS has stated that Win10 preview builds will update to the final build and also it will be activated. But since the preview build ISO doesn't request a Windows key this seems to be a good way to get Win10 for free on any computer.

• Like 2

skidmarks

Having paid for every OS since DOS 6.0 & Win3.1. I will kindly take 10 free!  I have beta tested Win 7 & 8, but opted out for 10.  Sounds promising and so far I haven't read anything negative.  I just pulled the box for Windows Vista Ultimate, Best Buy $259.99.  Yep they owe me one, then there was ME, so make that at least two!

Edited by skidmarks
  • Like 1

chef

Having paid for every OS since DOS 6.0 & Win3.1. I will kindly take 10 free! I have beta tested Win 7 & 8, but opted out for 10. Sounds promising and so far I haven't read anything negative. I just pulled the box for Windows Vista Ultimate, Best Buy $259.99. Yep they owe me one, then there was ME, so make that at least two!

You are right vista was expensive. I also will take 10 without question.

Plus, I believe it is going to help the unified platform. Eventually the next version may cost "Major Moola", in order to stay upto date with the new wave of Unified platforms.

Edited by chef

techywarrior

No, I think we have seen the end of "upgrade fees" for OSes. At least for the foreseeable future.

Btw, the Win10 update for Xbox looked pretty sweet in the video clip they showed. As one of the people who actually liked Kinect (I had high hopes for developers using it for things like voice and head tracking... but I was let down) I don't mind that Cortana will require the Kinect (headset mic won't work on Xbox One for Cortana but that may change in the future).

Biggest thing was that the overlays looked even faster then they are now. Not sure I like that the pinned apps are now below the recently played ones as it seems to be a little further away then LB but it may not be that big a deal.

Deihmos

For those who have XP and want a free upgrade to Win10 there is a very simple way you can use for the next month.

1. Sign up for Windows Insider Preview program.
  2. Download Win10 ISO
  3. Install on machine with XP (either you should do this just a few days before July 29 or as a second OS)
  4. On July 29 you will get the GA build of Win10
  5. Disable "preview builds" in the Win10 settings -> updates

MS has stated that Win10 preview builds will update to the final build and also it will be activated. But since the preview build ISO doesn't request a Windows key this seems to be a good way to get Win10 for free on any computer.

Microsoft will be stupid to offer such a thing. They have updated their blog post for clarification.

"It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*" 

Happy2Play

Microsoft will be stupid to offer such a thing. They have updated their blog post for clarification.

"It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*" 

Lots of articles out there saying, yes Windows 10 preview free upgrade.

It all boils down to this – in order to get Windows 10 RTM (Home or Pro) on 29 July 2015 you need to take the following steps:

• Be a registered member of the Windows Insider Program.
  • Install build 10130 of the Windows 10 Insider Preview.
  • Set up Windows 10 build 10130 using your Microsoft Account. The next build released to Windows Insiders will ask you to connect your Microsoft Account if not in order to validate that system for downloading of future builds. No Microsoft Account – no Fast or Slow Ring build after the next build is released. If you are an Insider and forget to connect your Microsoft Account there will be reminders beginning in the next Windows Insider Preview release which could come at any time.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-turn-your-windows-10-insider-preview-windows-10-rtm

Stay with us as a Windows Insider

As we’ve announced before, the Windows Insider Program will continue even after we release Windows 10 on July 29th. Windows Insiders will continue to receive future flights as we begin to work on the next release immediately after Windows 10 ships. You’ll get to see the latest Windows fixes, features, and updates and give us feedback. So stay with us! Of course, we’ll provide you an option to leave the program and stay on the final build if you choose: but we hope that we’ll continue to provide you great reasons to remain a Windows Insider.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Deihmos

There is no free upgrade. To activate it you must have a valid win 7 or 8.1 license. Even people on pirated Windows will be able to update but to make it light they still need a valid license. That's what I got from the blog post.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-subtly-updates-blog-post-creates-windows-10-licensing-hysteria

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

techywarrior

Deihmos, I think that "technically" (letter of the ToS, lawyer speak, etc.) that you must have a valid Win7/8 license but there is no check in place. Not that MS couldn't change Win10 to request that you enter a key and then check against valid Win7/8/8.1 licenses (remember when computers updated to 8.1 their license key changed) I don't see it being worth it for them. In the grand scheme of things not that many people will use this work around. And the long term benefit is way greater then a short term loss of negligable license revenue. And on top of that is having to check all the OEM systems with their keys which are tied to a BIOS.

It will come down to running Win10 without hindrance vs having a technical license to do so.

Sure, if MS raided your house and asked for the valid license you would be out of compliance. But everyone knows that's not happening.

It happens that all my computers are running Win7 or 8.1 but if I had an XP machine I would definitely do it.

Koleckai Silvestri

"It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*" [/size]

According to their latest blog: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Anyone currently using Windows 10 Preview attached to a Microsoft Account will get the final version as well. So if you have an XP machine then upgrade it via ISO and attach your Windows Insider Microsoft Account, you can get a free upgrade to the final version.

As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*

If you are currently running Windows 10, you weren't given the option of a free upgrade. Seems it will just update automatically according to the above paragraph. I guess I'll see on July 29th. If not, then I'll just pull out my Windows 7 disk, do a clean install and upgrade it for free.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Deihmos

This is what I was told and it makes sense.

If you have a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 license it will be free regardless of whether you installed the TP or not. If you installed the TP over your valid Windows 7/8/8.1 you will still have a valid upgrade. If you installed the ISO fresh with no previous key it will not be free unless you upgrade from 7/8/8.1 after RTM for one year.

Edited by Deihmos

techywarrior

if you installed the ISO fresh with no previous key it will not be free unless you upgrade from 7/8/8.1 after RTM for one year.

This is the part I believe is wrong.

But I guess we shall see July 29 :)

Deihmos

@techwarrior it has been clarified.In a nut shell if you didn't upgrade from a genuine win 7,8 or 8.1 system you can't opt out of the insider program or you will have to return to your previous OS. Pretty much you have to remain a beta tester.

“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Edited by Deihmos

techywarrior

Well, that is understandable but sort of annoying since months ago they said that there wouldn't be any issues upgrading. (which there sort of aren't... unless you did a clean install from an ISO).

Doesn't affect my Win10 machine but I would be pissed if I had to roll back my OS, lose my setup, and then install 2 OSes just to get back to where I am now (and what they promised months ago).

Although there is still a minor work around if you truly want a free Win10 license for your XP/Vista machine. And that's to simply stay in the preview program and go to the slow ring after July 29. You'll technically be running a beta OS but if the stability of the preview program so far is anything to go by then it may not be that big a deal.

Edited by techywarrior

KarterJK

I hadn't heard anything about recurring fees. Microsoft has been doing a lot of cool things lately, this would certainly be a step back in the public's eyes if true.

Your thoughts of MS and mine are totally opposite :)

I feel Microsoft has lost its direction since 2003, and is just stumbling.  Yes, the upgrade is free for the first year.  Then they will charge for the OS.  I think eventually if they keep the Windows 10 OS, it will eventually become a monthly subscription much like Office 365.  However, if they can't sell that idea to the public, I think they will dump Windows 10 and come up with another Windows OS of some sort.

The only thing I have come to trust about Microsoft is that every few years, they dump most of their previous software and start all over.  Isn't that how they make money selling software?

I am not a Apple OS X, not Linux fan, but if I get a good media center replacement, I can see myself dumping Windows all together (might keep one machine for gaming).

Edited by KarterJK

techywarrior

The upgrade is free for the first year so they can try and drive adoption of the OS. The bulk of their money doesn't come from people upgrading Windows so the amount of money they are "losing", really it's more like just not making this round, is pretty insignificant. Most people stay on their current OS until they buy a new computer and MS still charges for new licenses on new machines. Also, I think that a lot of their Windows income is from business licenses. 

With their new strategy they are still getting a large portion of their normal licensing but by getting as many of the older computers onto Win10 as they can they open their new revenue streams to more people. The idea is to make money selling services that run on Win10 as well as getting a cut of sales through the Windows Store (the app where they sell unified apps, not a physical store). Without a very large install base the store hasn't done that well (also, unifying the phone and desktop/laptop store should help a bit).

Ideally MS wants everyone to be on the latest OS, buy some apps on the store and use Skype/Office/Live/etc. If that happens then they will be making more money then they did before.

• Like 1

trooper11

platform those services are sold for. Windows 10 is the start of the transition to a more upgradable OS platform, one more like OSX that offers feature upgrades over time instead of major new releases every 3 years. There could well be a Win 11, but the current plan is that would be very far down the line, if its even in the plan.

I'm not sure what history you are looking at regarding MS, but most of their major software lines have simply evolved over the years as it has for every other company such as Apple and Google.

I feel Microsoft has lost its direction since 2003, and is just stumbling.  Yes, the upgrade is free for the first year.  Then they will charge for the OS.  I think eventually if they keep the Windows 10 OS, it will eventually become a monthly subscription much like Office 365.  However, if they can't sell that idea to the public, I think they will dump Windows 10 and come up with another Windows OS of some sort.

The only thing I have come to trust about Microsoft is that every few years, they dump most of their previous software and start all over.  Isn't that how they make money selling software?

I think the part of this that you are missing is that MS knows that windows will no longer be the big money maker. It is now all about services such as office 365. Windows is now merely the platform these services run best on. I doubt you will see MS try to sell Windows itself as a service to consumers.

Windows and Office have certainly changed over the years, but its not like MS at any point started from scratch, its all been iterations on existing designs, mixed in with more drastic UI changes every so often. WP7 was probably the biggest shift in OS design for MS from the previous smartphone OS and its design lives on today in WP8 and soon to be Win 10 Mobile.

Its easy to see the track of MS' plan to organize OS core development into one version, one that can span all the different hardware out there, from phone to xbox. Its an ambitious idea, but it solves a lot of the problems that MS has had to deal with over the years. You don't see any direction, but it sure seems clear to me. Create a single core OS to span hardware and encourage developer support, along with the tools to create once and push across multiple platforms, while at the same time getting your most valuable services on all platforms to expose nearly all end users to what you offer.

• Like 1

Tharnax

Personally, I think Windows 10 is finally a step in the right direction.  Is the OS perfect for desktops, nope but it's a heck of a lot better then how windows 7 runs on a tablet.  I really like what Microsoft is trying to do with this release of Windows, sort of what they tried to do with Windows 8 but completely failed with Windows 8 & 8.1 as the focused mostly on tablet use and not enough on desktop us.  Windows 10 appears to have started to work towards a reasonable happy medium, where it works well on the desktop, converts nicely to work well on a tablet and/or touch screen and then also works pretty well on a phone.  I mean what OS exists today that works like a smartphone but plug it into a monitor, connect with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your phones works much like a desktop.  

As for Windows 10 "licenses", really what is the debate?  Windows XP and Vista are old, I mean Vista was release in 2007 over 8 years ago!  Free upgrade?  Nope!  Considering the newest OS Vista is 8 years old is anyone surprised?  I think the majority of the stats which state the 16% usage of Windows XP as of March 2015 are primarily large corporations who have a huge cost, not in licensing, but in support and testing costs to upgrade so they are the primary hold outs.  I should know, the company I work for just upgraded my PC and the 60 people in my department to Windows 7 last month and when the project to upgrade everyone to Windows 7 started, there were over 150,000 desktops and/or laptops which need to be upgraded globally.  I'd be very surprised if retail (non-enterprise license) XP users were made up more then 2% of that 16% stat.  I think the Vista usage speaks to this as only 2% of all Windows market share is using Vista.  In this case, I'd guess it's a 50/50 split of enterprise licenses and retail Vista licenses.

Therefore from a retail perspective, 95% of users are using Windows 7 or higher.  The ratio of genuine to non-genuine (yes my machine says it's genuine but I know it's not crowd) is the larger debate but I can't see Microsoft giving Windows 10 to all the Windows 7, 8, 8.1 individuals who, if they are using a "non-genuine" version it is likely Pro, a "free" upgrade to Windows 10.  The Technical Preview is not a work around to getting Windows 10 for "free", Microsoft pretty clearly stated that you give us something, i.e., feedback on builds we will continue to make for Windows 10 and you get to keep running Windows 10 in a somewhat beta state.  You get something for free and they get something for free.  Win/Win!  However, as soon as you want to opt out then you better have a key to license a non-build (or Retail) version of Windows 10.  If you're running the technical preview of Windows 10 Pro, then be ready to shell out for a Windows 10 Pro license otherwise go back to your non-genuine version of Windows (7, 8 or 8.1) or find a non-genuine version of Windows 10 Pro to install.

As for those individuals, like myself, who have valid keys whether they came as an OEM with your purchase of a new PC or purchased a retail version from a retail store or through Microsoft's store and are currently running technical preview of Windows 10 (i.e., it's not that key which is currently on your Window 10 TB), it is my assumption on that around the time of July 29, you will have the option of entering that key into Windows 10 to make the technical preview a genuine version and opt out of future technical preview builds.  At that time the key will become a Windows 10 genuine key and will work for the lifetime of that PC.  Re-installs from scratch will activate on that same PC with that same license.  Just like it is today, if you change "too much" hardware you will be likely asked to re-activate.  That may work online or a quick call to Microsoft will get you back up and running.

As for income, Windows 10 for "free" is only for existing retail customers, whether they purchased it as an OEM disk, through a prior hardware purchase or as an actual retail "boxed" purchase/upgrade.  This same revenue stream is going to continue with Windows 10.  Do people really think that, for example, Black Friday deals for desktops, laptops and tablets aren't all going to be sold with either Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro (as your only choice) included with the device?  Enterprise licensing will continue to exist and will continue to generate significant revenue for Microsoft for it's Windows OS for quite some time.  From Microsoft point of view they can make $$$ from retail customers through other ways Windows Store, Office 365 home subscriptions, etc., those things which in a lot of cases enterprise hardware are unable to make use of due to corporate policies/restrictions.

So they don't get $20-$30 from existing genuine Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 users?  So what! They can afford to let that revenue go knowing there are plenty of other ways to get revenue from you once you've upgrade to Windows 10 and definitely will not be through some "monthly fee" charged to you in order for you to keep using Windows.

• Like 2