More than 1 Chrome Cast on a network

BrettM

BrettM

Sorry if this question is in the wrong section.

We have 4 TV's in the house 1 in each bedroom (3 bedrooms) & our main TV in the lounge room, I have currently setup a chrome cast in our main bedroom and called it bedroom 1. I would like to know if I can add another 2 chrome casts to our network for the other 2 rooms and maybe call them Bedroom 2, Bedroom 3.

I have researched Google with mixed answers but most lean towards yes you can providing they all have separate names can anyone confirm this is able to be done before I go out and waste money. 

If it is not possible can anyone advise how we could achieve multiple streaming of different shows and media to each tv in the house and not all have the same media displaying?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Brett

JeremyFr79

I have 2 in the same house, named differently of course, works like a charm and you can stream to each one separately again with no issues.

BrettM

Great thanks Jeremy Fr279 no issues setting up 2nd Chrome cast on your network even thou you already had 1 set up ?

I know in set up it gives you a code to identify the chrome cast just wasn't sure if it would try to reinstall the Chrome cast I already have connected. 

JeremyFr79

Nope no issues, what's even better is I've been able to take one of my chromecast's with me when I travel and use my Emby anywhere I'm at :)

MrWebsmith

ive found that some of the hotels i stay at the wifi doesnt allow the inter-device communication so the CC doesnt work.. i tried a few when i first got the CC..maybe i need to try again next week when i go away.. it would be convenient 

JeremyFr79

ive found that some of the hotels i stay at the wifi doesnt allow the inter-device communication so the CC doesnt work.. i tried a few when i first got the CC..maybe i need to try again next week when i go away.. it would be convenient 

You've got 2 options at that point, 1.) a "travel router", or 2.) using a hotspot service on say you're phone and then using a tablet for control and have your cc on the same hotspot.

• Like 1

Cerothen

I just ended up buying an Amazon Fire Stick and sideloading a browser onto it for use in hotels. Comes with a remote and you can pop open the browser to check any boxes or agreements that the hotel might impose (you know that page where you enter the code the front desk gave you). Travel router is still always a good idea for hotels that make you pay per device connected.

I read several months ago that Amazon updated the Fire TV stick to work with those hotel log ins. I have not had a chance to try it though.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's

BrettM

Thanks JeremyFr79

I have now purchased our second chrome cast and your right it works like a treat, I have a question can you use one tablet/phone for more than one Chrome cast ? or do you have to use one per chrome cast reason I ask I put a movie on in our bedroom then one on in the second bedroom, I used the tablet for our room and my phone for the second bedroom I wasn't sure if changing the next room for the next movie would disconnect the movie playing in our room.

Can someone please confirm to help end the confusion...

Thanks in advance

JeremyFr79

Thanks JeremyFr79

I have now purchased our second chrome cast and your right it works like a treat, I have a question can you use one tablet/phone for more than one Chrome cast ? or do you have to use one per chrome cast reason I ask I put a movie on in our bedroom then one on in the second bedroom, I used the tablet for our room and my phone for the second bedroom I wasn't sure if changing the next room for the next movie would disconnect the movie playing in our room.

Can someone please confirm to help end the confusion...

Thanks in advance

I am 99% certain you can only cast to one Chromecast at a time.

BrettM

That's what I thought as I said I streamed a movie to our room via my tablet, and for the spare room (Guest room) I used my mobile phone and it worked really well.

• Like 1

BrettM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but anyone sure how to improve the steaming with chrome cast it seems to stop for a couple seconds then will run for another 50 - 60 seconds and stop again it's when I am streaming a movie or any media to our rooms up stairs ?

JeremyFr79

Lower the bitrate for casting.  3.5 to 4Mbps seems to be the sweet spot.

BrettM

ok cool I have done that, through the server ? (Remote client bitrate limit)  sorry still learning some of this, I opened the server then went to playback then set the streaming to 4mbps is that correct or do I need to do it through the app?.

Edited by BrettM

JeremyFr79

usually through the app itself.  They did some tweaking to transcoding a while back and I used to be able to transcode at 6-8mbps to my Chromecasts, now I have to do around 4 to keep it from stuttering, it's the weirdest thing, but still looks good on my 50"

BrettM

ok sorry how do we do it through the app I have had a look but can't find where to go to make the changes?

JeremyFr79

click the "hamburger" button (top left) click your user name, and then click "app setting" you'll see there where it says "Max Chromecast Bitrate:"