What ideal emby media device

SHSPVR

CBers

Both work fine with Emby.

I have both, as well as a Fire TV and use them all with Emby.

Possibly more scope of other apps available with NP.

Macburp

I must say I am not too happy with pq on the Nexus Player, using the Android TV app. I believe that's due to codec limitations on the NP. I'd like to try Kodi for Emby on the NP, but haven't figured out a way to sideload the app using only the remote control yet.

Deihmos

Try kodi for Android with emby plug in.

Kodi is in the play store.

Edited by Deihmos

Deathsquirrel

I don't consider either ideal but I'd call the nexus player closer.  Ideal is cheap and with full support for my files without transcoding.  Neither can play my media without transcoding.  Your mileage may vary.

SHSPVR

I don't consider either ideal but I'd call the nexus player closer.  Ideal is cheap and with full support for my files without transcoding.  Neither can play my media without transcoding.  Your mileage may vary.

That maybe lack of direct play support, even 80% my file are in mp4 they always transcoding

Any way thank you all there is one other player I think about to but cost Reg ver $200 or Pro ver $300 big one and from Nvidia Shield Android TV

Edited by SHSPVR

Cerothen

I will make the assumption that your looking for a device to use on the same network as the server.

At my house we use raspberry pi 2 with openelec. Just start it up and enable dlna, after that we just use the play to function on the emby web client.

I did have to make a profile on emby for kodi that would ensure that there was never any transcoding and its been working great.

This method doesn't use the emby for kodi plug in, I have a testing pi set up and it was syncing my library the other day. So I'll report back on that one later.

All in all considering rpi2 is going for $35 is just about the cheapest device you can get with maximum codec support.

Edited by Cerothen

Deathsquirrel

That maybe lack of direct play support, even 80% my file are in mp4 they always transcoding

Any way thank you all there is one other player I think about to but cost Reg ver $200 or Pro ver $300 big one and from Nvidia Shield Android TV

With the right software updates the shield could easily become a fantastic option.  That and a future xbox one client are my top items to watch.

• Like 1

ice pube

I must say I am not too happy with pq on the Nexus Player, using the Android TV app. I believe that's due to codec limitations on the NP. I'd like to try Kodi for Emby on the NP, but haven't figured out a way to sideload the app using only the remote control yet.

Kodi is available on the play store now. Keep in mind this is Isengard beta 2 version, so you need to load the Beta Emby repo to make it work. 

I recently traded in my Roku 3 (thanks costco) and picked up a Nexus Player. I absolutely love it. Such ease of use, Kodi is a breeze and I have access to everything else I want - netflix, youtube, casting, etc. At the moment I think at least for me, its the perfect solution. 

My nexus player I picked up on sale for $70 (pretty cheap) and it plays all my files via Kodi with the emby addon.
Edited by ice pube

Koleckai Silvestri

I use Roku3 devices. The Nexus Player doesn't have native Android TV apps for other providers we use like HBOGo. I don't really care about transcoding. My server is powerful enough to handle it.

badaas

NowTV Roku 2 £14.99 due in August ;) just a fyi :) edit: ahh, you US? oops

Edited by badaas
  • Like 1

CBers

NowTV Roku 2 £14.99 due in August ;) just a fyi :) edit: ahh, you US? oops

Do you have a link for that please?

Is it based on a current Roku, such as the 3?

badaas

legallink

I use the Roku 3.  While not the flashiest of interfaces, it has a very big WAF, and is pretty much, plug n play, but I have a server powerful enough to transcode.