problem playing videos from a 4 TB external 3.0 USB hard drive

kingcain

kingcain

I have a Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV4000100) and when I try to use it with Media Browser or Media Center they wont play.  Both will read from it listing all the movies but when I go to play them Media Browser acts like it will then just goes black i have to exit out and restart it.  Media Center just almost freezes up my systems it doesn't even try to play.  I have tried 3 different computers and the same results the hard drive works fine for any use outside of Media Center.  I downloaded XBMC and it works fine on that program but I like Media Browser better.  any fixes or suggestions?  

Sorry if there is a post about this already but i tries to search for one and couldn't find one.

aspdend

My first thoughts would be a codec issue - as in can wmc play the files using the native software? what format are they in?

kingcain

no codec issue i copied some of the videos to another external har drive this one is a 3 TB USB 2.0 and it worked fine.

they are in VOB format.

aspdend

If the files work from a different HDD, I personally would check your Expansion 4Tb drive.

Try going to the Seagate page and downloading the diagnostic software:

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-desktop/

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction

aspdend

From my experience, the only time I have had similar issues (drive works fine in one instance, doesn't in another) is when the drive was starting to fail...hence the direction towards the diagnostics to make sure things are as they should be with the unit. Good luck!

WWWestern

1. Not enough power? 

Then connect USB directly to internal USB-hub (behind Your box) and use USB cable with dual connectors, like  this http://www.cclonline.com/product/60166/USB2HABMY3/USB-Firewire-Cables/StarTech-com-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive-USB-A-to-Mini-B-0-9m-/CAB0687/

2. Upgrade firmware for Your hard disc from Seagate.

kingcain

i believe there is enough power it runs fine in XBMC just not in media center or media browser.

when i downloaded the Seagate drive tool program there was a button for firmware update it said it was up to date.