ffmpeg process runs for a long time even when i press stop.

BestYohman

BestYohman

I am running windows 8 and when i am running the web client the process ffmpeg seems to stick around for a long time. 30 or more mins when playing a movie shorter for a tv show. The process used to stop but now it just runs. It seems to also make more processes as i try to skip forward in the video.

post-260-0-47826000-1384932235_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-56024400-1384932264_thumb.jpg

This is after skipping forward just 5 mins.

Redshirt

What web browser are you using? It may be a browser specific issue.

A new ffmpeg stream is created every time you skip forward/back, that's just the nature of MB's transcoding. However the old ffmpeg instance should be killed right away, so you only ever have one at a time.

BestYohman

Ok i have test things out now firefox is even worse it seems to open up 2 ffmpeg processes when playing a video. Now this only happens when I am remote and not at home. Everything runs fine at home. Processes stop when they are supposed to at home.

kreeturez

This may also be related to what's been reported here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2094-high-and-long-time-ffmpeg-cpu-usage/&do=findComment&comment=39916

(In my case, it happens locally or remotely on Safari-under-iOS - but interestingly, Firefox works flawlessly in both scenarios...)

Do you have the same issue if you swap over to a recent beta of the server?

kreeturez

i can only reproduce this in safari, and it will be fixed soon.

Thanks as always, Luke.

If/when this makes its way into a test build you can let us know: I'd be more than happy to help you test.

BestYohman

Ok looking under the log the server does see that playback has stopped and triggers trakt to say that it has stopped but the ffmpeg does not trigger an exit. If i force close it the log does show that it has closed and clears the partial stream.

kreeturez

Hmmm... I've noticed this on the dedicated iOS app as well ('MB Mobile'); I'm assuming the same fix will correct both when it's in place.

Works fantastically for me in Firefox and even Opera (remotely or locally); only iOS (app/web) gives me this process-not-killed issue. Makes me wanna grab an android device ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
kreeturez

Have just checked out the latest MASTER and compiled from source; I can confirm this issue is now resolved in Safari (as per here). Working great now; actually this WebUI is a great stop-gap on an iPad until the dedicated client is released.

This fix will presumably be included in an upcoming Dev/Beta build.

From personal experience, it'll also resolve some users' streaming issues (where a stream fails to start/times out) since multiple stray transcode processes easily took my server down - it's much, much more stable now.

@@Luke : Was going to open the corresponding Issue on the iOS app (which still has this issue); but I see you appear to have beaten me to it :-)

Fantastic work, man. As always.

Edited by kreeturez