Hosting

Stalin
Go to solution Solved by Vidman,

Stalin

I couldn't find an article on this, but I have 2 Emby servers and i wanted to know if it would be possible to just type in my ddns, without have to type in a port number, and have find which ever is available.

djdevon3

If you change your port in emby management to 80 then it will work as long as you don't have IIS or some other web server enabled.  HTTP default is port 80. Practically every website you visit online is on port 80 even though it doesn't show the port in your url address bar.  I imagine they changed it to 8096 so as not to interfere with normal 80 operation so you can run a webserver on that port instead (which is normal).  I think Emby choosing to use port 8096 was a good decision.  If you want to setup Emby to use port 80 instead you can do that.  It's better for your own security to not put it on port 80 though.  8096 is default for Emby server for a good reason.  Using something like 8096 on 1 and 8097 on 2 is a better idea. If you really really want it on port 80 and are sure of all the implications of doing so then go for it.

post-49383-0-63219700-1434307589_thumb.jpg

You won't be able to run both Emby servers on the same port though.  You'll want to use port 80 for one and a different port for your 2nd server.   So you have some configuring to do in Emby management for your 2 instances of Emby Server anyway.

Edited by djdevon3

Stalin

If you change your port in emby management to 80 then it will work as long as you don't have IIS or some other web server enabled.  HTTP default is port 80. Practically every website you visit online is on port 80 even though it doesn't show the port in your url address bar.  I imagine they changed it to 8096 so as not to interfere with normal 80 operation so you can run a webserver on that port instead (which is normal).  I think Emby choosing to use port 8096 was a good decision.  If you want to setup Emby to use port 80 instead you can do that.  It's better for your own security to not put it on port 80 though.  8096 is default for Emby server for a good reason.  Using something like 8096 on 1 and 8097 on 2 is a better idea. If you really really want it on port 80 and are sure of all the implications of doing so then go for it.

attachicon.gifEmby_Port_Config.JPG

You won't be able to run both Emby servers on the same port though.  You'll want to use port 80 for one and a different port for your 2nd server.   So you have some configuring to do in Emby management for your 2 instances of Emby Server anyway.

Thanks for the quick response. Would it be possible if I could somehow forward port 80 to both server locations on my router? 

djdevon3

No, that's not how servers and ports work.  That's like trying to stuff two heads into 1 hat.  It's just not going to happen.  Emby would need to have a feature on the main home portal to choose which server instance it wants to display.  It's only possible if that feature is programmed into Emby.  It's not currently a feature because Emby is meant to be a singular server only for the entire network.  It wasn't designed to run multiple instances to my knowledge.

If you want to access all of your titles on every computer on your network why not just setup 1 server and use network paths?   That's what I imagine 99% of people here are doing.

Stalin

No, that's not how servers and ports work.  That's like trying to stuff two heads into 1 hat.  It's just not going to happen.  Emby would need to have a feature on the main home portal to choose which server instance it wants to display.  It's only possible if that feature is programmed into Emby.  It's not currently a feature because Emby is meant to be a singular server only for the entire network.  It wasn't designed to run multiple instances to my knowledge.

If you want to access all of your titles on every computer on your network why not just setup 1 server and use network paths?   That's what I imagine 99% of people here are doing.

Sometimes the server will go down without my knowledge. Usually just remote access. That's why I would like to have a backup just incase one is down

You could use emby connect to allow you to choose a server when you login

I use this was just wondering if there was a more simple way.

JeremyFr79

Emby would have to have some type of "load balancing" capability among other things to setup up something like this.

karikimber

Do not share (host/internet) emby for windows (probably for all platform) big security hole. Directory traversal is opened emby for windows (I tested), "anonymous" attacker directly access your files.

If already host it, must be ip access restriction on modem or close the hosting.

This is version 3.0.5641.4 report.

• 4 weeks later...