Sync to different frame size

hjone72

hjone72

Hi,

How do you change what frame size the media items sync at?

I have lots of large full bluray media items and want users to be able to sync them to a folder but at lower resolutions. For example, Game of Thrones S01E01 (6GB 1080p) -> sync to folder at 720p or even lower.

Thanks,

not at the moment but if you have them select low quality it will often end up lowering the resolution.

hjone72

Under what circumstances does it lower/not lower the quality?

Is it possible to change the max resolution possible for syncing? Sync at 720p max?

Can the command that is run against ffmpeg be modified?

Thank you,

• 1 year later...
StLDreiling

Puzzled by this one, as well. Are there plans to offer greater control over the sync process? Syncing on "Low" is actually upscaling some of my videos to resolutions that are unsupported on my target devices.

Puzzled by this one, as well. Are there plans to offer greater control over the sync process? Syncing on "Low" is actually upscaling some of my videos to resolutions that are unsupported on my target devices.

Hi, I doubt that it is upscaling because we try to avoid doing that. nonetheless, in order to best answer this, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

StLDreiling

Hi, I doubt that it is upscaling because we try to avoid doing that. nonetheless, in order to best answer this, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Thanks, Luke. I've attached both server and transcode logs to this response.

​I have certain devices that have very strict resolution constraints for MP4 video files. The device in question requires a frame of no greater than 720x480, which stands to reason as it functions primarily as a DVD player, and 2 channel AAC audio. My hope is to use a series of sync jobs to create copies of some of my video files to be viewed on this device.

​My library consists predominantly of 720x480 MP4 video files with 6 channel AC3 audio, and it is with these that I've been testing the sync feature. I've included the section of the server log (in its full form it was at 20mb at the time of this post) covering my most recent attempt, the results of which are consistent with all previous attempts for the file in question.

​I am syncing the files to a folder on a network share on the host server. I've chosen the Baseline profile to maximize compatibility. I've chosen the Low quality option to minimize file size. I've played with the transcode options and attempted this with and without various hardware encoding, H264 preset, and CRF options. The results are consistently the same.

The output file retains its original frame height, but has been widened from its original width of 718 to 850. The video and audio quality, bitrate, and file size are consistent with what I was expecting. Please let me know if you need additional information.

serverlog.txt

transcodelog.txt

StLDreiling

Can you try it without hardware encoding turned on? thanks.

Per your request, disabled hardware encoding and ran the sync conversion again. The log files are attached.

​The resulting file was about 300mb larger than the prior file and has just under double the bitrate, although with no discernable improvements in video or audio quality. However, the frame size remains 850x362.

​While Emby was converting, I copied the ffmpeg string from the server log and did an independent test on my PC. I attempted to convert a copy of the same MP4 using the same string, modified only for the local source and output directories. Ffmpeg produced the same result: an output MP4 with a frame size of 850x362.

serverlog2.txt

transcodelog2.txt

StLDreiling

Neither. Really strange. Video appears normal. No distortion, no padding. But file aspects are as I said, and confirmed by VLC.

StLDreiling

I'll tell you what else is weird. Both "Baseline" and "General," high/medium/low, all produce the exact same file.

Depending on the file that could be normal. It does not make any attempt to increase the quality of your source file, so for example if the file is below the threshold the high setting, then high and medium are essentially the same.

StLDreiling

Good to know. I guess I'd just feature request additional presets or customizable options for folder sync (max frame width/height, max files size, etc.).